Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Top Contributors

Wireless Channel config manual override

Please, could you add an "Advanced settings" link somewhere under Settings,

by which we can set the wireless channel of the base station, and perhaps even more details regarding its WiFi behavior?

I have serious issues with the extremely busy 2.4 GHz band in my neighborhood (city). The only way *all* my arlo cameras will reach the base well is when I have it at channel 13 and it stays there. But it never seems to do so.

Yes, I take full responsibility for the distortion or interference that could cause, because I know to set my routers at channel 9 or lower (with the Base at 13).

64 Comments
Follower

Since I got the Arlo system, we have been having trouble with our home network. Lots of interference with our Airplay setup... even though our Airport EXtreme basestation was a mere 3 metres away from the stereo. I set up NetSpot on my laptop and discovered that there was a very strong router on the same channel as my Airport EXtreme basestation. I would set my Airport EXtreme basestation to a new channel and the interference disappeared. But then I would find that within a day NETGEAR55 was back on the same channel!! I spent hours and hours over the course of a year trying to figure out what the source of the NETGEAR55 WiFi signal was.   I had assumed it was an unfriendly neighbour. I went so far as to buy another router and highly directional antenna to blast this neighbour so he would have a taste of his own medicine. I gave that router the SSID "Fook Yoo". Then I decided to actually map the WiFi signals in the house. I discovered that the NETGEAR55 source was inside MY house! I was aghast to discover that the NETGEAR55 MAC address was the MAC address of my Arlo Basestation!!!!!

I only discovered this discussion thread today.... (https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo/Is-it-possible-to-change-the-wifi-channel/td-p/1537/page/2) and I have read all the input. I can appreciate some of the logic put forward by the Arlo reps on this matter, but I can tell you that Co-channel interference of the Arlo base is real and quite a problem here at my house. I really don't care about the first principals science.. from an emperical science perspective, the Arlo base DOES degrade my home network considerably.

WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SELECT A CHANNEL FOR THE ARLO BASE.

From my surveys I could use Channel 1 for Arlo and Channel 11 for my home network.. these channels are sufficiently separated to not interfere. There really is not a lot of channel clutter where I live. Arlo creates the problem! (https://www.metageek.com/training/resources/adjacent-channel-congestion.html)

Novice

I recently replaced my wifi base station with gear from Ubiquiti. Fantastic stuff. I have mapped out the house, set each AP with a non-overlapping channel in the 2.4 GHz range. Fantastic, except for this NETGEAR02 AP. As others have discovered, it is my Arlo Pro 2 base station.

After realizing that it was following the closest APs channel, I disabled the 2.4 GHz radio on that AP. Now the Netgear has picked channel 3, which isn't one of the three non-overlapping channels, and in fact overlaps with both my channel 1 AND my channel 6 APs. 

Why can't I set it to a non-overlapping channel? I'm not going to argue with the engineering decision for the default, but add an option for "Advanced", please?

wxh Initiate
Initiate

If you are listening to your customers, please please please, add an Advanced Settings section or something that we customer can disable auto channel selection and set it to use a specific channel. 

Novice

If you are listening to your customers, please please please, add an Advanced Settings section or something that we customer can disable auto channel selection and set it to use a specific channel. 

Observer

It will be very interesting to see if the newly announced Arlo Ultra "SmartHub" has the ability to select the wireless channel! https://www.arlo.com/CES2019/arlo-ultra

All I know is that it looks as if Netgear is not paying attention or listening to the comments in this thread.  It's been around for quite some time now (approaching two years) while it's status is still showing up as a "new idea" and nobody from Netgear has chimed in with any comments.

I'm very close to ripping all of my Arlo gear out and going in a different direction since this stupid implementation of wifi on the Arlo Pro hub is causing me nothing but problems and interfering with many other IoT devices on my network.  I'm pretty much done with ever buying anything from Netgear again...

The way this hub is "designed" is just completely irresponsible and the way Netgear has responded is utterly ridiculous!  

Why do we not have the ability to manually set a channel and leave it there?

I for the last year have not had an issue with Wi-Fi interferance, that I knew of but questioning it now, and the all the sudden today 5 out of 6 devices keep dropping. I moved my home wireless network to a different channel and haven't had a problem since. I have my base station 50+ feet away from my wireless router. I'd love to have the ability to change my channel for the base station as now my home wifi is on a more congested channel and the arlo is all by itself at the other end.

Follower

Is this issue solved or do I need to buy Nest cameras? Any suggestion?

Observer

The issue is not resolved and it seems as if Netgear has not bothered to acknowledge this thread in almost three years since it's still marked as a "new idea".  

I don't know much about them personally but based on the attention this issue is [not] getting from Netgear, going with a Nest system may be the smart way to proceed...good luck!

Aspirant

Hallo… we are your customers!!!  Add the function!

Auto or Channel 1-13 and Auto, 20 or 40mhz.