Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless Channel config manual override

Here's the deal;

wireless_in_the_city.jpg

This is my WiFi *indoors*, if I go outside it's even more and stronger signals. It amazes me that this Arlo system even uses WiFi when it offers is no manual control whatsoever, which I obviously expected it to offer, because, well, it's from NETGEAR!? All your equipment offers the user settings and full config and control, yet when it counts (to protect and secure our home reliably) it just doesn't?? WTF is that about? Please netgear, explain this to me. I demand the option to set the channel the base-station uses.

To be honest I didn't even expect it to use 2.4 GHz WiFi. Why did you pick that? Since it's proprietary anyway, why not use some unused frequencies? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, I'm going to publish this fact everywhere I can, because if knew beforehand, I would never have paid so much for such a useless wifi distortion unit. I would *not* have bought it.

Second thing is the fact it's reliability fully relies on your internet being up (and wireless signals not being distorted purposely). I can just pull the phone-cable outdoor so the DSL is lost, I can even check the wireless band from my car for the netgear ssid (which is always the same) and then switch on a scrambler and rip the house blind.

This has got to be the most insecure system ever, there's no local backup option of the footage, no memory, nothing (I've tested it). Frankly, not at all what I expected from a big name like netgear. Your routers are OK, but this arlo hands-off cloud-only stuff blows. And then no Advanced config in the base-station? For crying out loud you guys, get that fixed channel setting in the firmware or I'll send my expensive arlo crap right back to the seller.

Comments
tdeane
Fledgling

I agree, it is vital to be able to choose the channel that the Arlo uses. As it is, I live in a town house complex that is full of wifi, most people are playing well and using 1 6 or 11, but for some reason the Arlo is jumping on channel 3 and causing interference both with the wifi as well as my zigbee network as Samsung Smarthings is broadcasting on Zigbee channel 15 which is getting clobbered by the Arlo on channel 3.

We need advanced users to have the option to configure the channel.

AaronT
Novice

Dear Netgear,

Please  make a small change to the management page for the base station device to allow for setting the WiFi Channel.  This is a SIMPLE change that would be significantly beneficial.   Not only would this not impact network performance for the wireless computers and devices in my home, the performance of YOUR PRODUCT would not suffer.

I cannot recommend ARLO based on this simple flaw alone.

TTTBBRR
Initiate

I agree. Not very smart to set it automatically and not allow manual setting.  If it follows nearby access points, then it is even a worse idea.

snarfel
Aspirant

I can't set up my Arlo Q+ to connect to the company WiFi (WPA2-Enterprise, EAP-PEAP, MSCHAPv2) to watch my stuff w/ my given username and password. It would be nice if Arlo supported more advanced WiFi setup such as highlighted above to allow for use cases like mine.

BenV
Aspirant

Dear Netgear,

As you can see. Lot's of requests for this feature to force the wi-fi channel.

Are you able to provide us with a response?

ArfArf
Fledgling

From my experience, when Arlo uses the same channel as my router, all of the 2.4 GHz clients in my house suffer reduced performance.   It is a vacation home, so I usually just unplug the stupid Arlo when I am there. 

There are plenty of channels available in the house that have NO OVERLAP.   Arlo just doesn't bother looking for them.   It just finds the most important channel in the house (the one that I am using) and simply poops all over it.

It would be a huge improvement to be able to force Arlo to use a specific channel.

LovelyNot
Apprentice

Good grief, I can't believe this totally simple solution can't be set. I'm in ICT since the late 80s and I have yet to find a brand that is so stubborn on their 'theory' overruling common sense. Same channel WiFi, are you freaking kidding me?

Where I live we have several neighbors that switch on their wifi whenever they wish. Through that I have found which channels would be safe to use for arlo, but the stupid device keeps changing channels and picking the WRONG ones. Cameras drop out all the time here BECAUSE OF THAT. My arlo experience has been nothing short of super annoying the past years. And ONLY because netgear thought we'd be too stupid to set the wifi channel ourselves.

How hard is it to hide a bunch of extra config behind an Advanced settings button? What time do these 'designers' think we're living in? They're like an islamic doctrine, totally retarded.

Besides, if I would have been netgear, I'd have picked either an existing LAN with WiFi, or 5 GHz, which is a much safer option here. Or since it's a proprietary config we can't seem to touch or change, WHY NOT USE YOUR OWN WIFI frequency? One that isn't used by anyone. Wouldbe easy enough to do, we do it in the medical profession all the time. There are several reserved Wireless bands to use for custom systems.

I still can't believe that after all these years it's not in there. Seriously, netgear, grow the f up already.

LovelyNot
Apprentice

Wow, even this forum can't parse messages properly. Guess that's because arlo uses the same channel as the laptop I'm using to write and post messages with here.

jult
Star

I find it strange how this has 81+ thumbs up, yet it can'tbe found under "Top ideas". Seems to me they are NEVER going to implement this.

Going to sell my arlo cameras. They've become useless because of the wifi issues.

Going for foscam, uniden, brands that know what they're doing.

JerryR
Luminary

I agree with this request. Some users need the ability to select the best channel for their location.