Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Wireless Channel config manual override

Here's the deal;

wireless_in_the_city.jpg

This is my WiFi *indoors*, if I go outside it's even more and stronger signals. It amazes me that this Arlo system even uses WiFi when it offers is no manual control whatsoever, which I obviously expected it to offer, because, well, it's from NETGEAR!? All your equipment offers the user settings and full config and control, yet when it counts (to protect and secure our home reliably) it just doesn't?? WTF is that about? Please netgear, explain this to me. I demand the option to set the channel the base-station uses.

To be honest I didn't even expect it to use 2.4 GHz WiFi. Why did you pick that? Since it's proprietary anyway, why not use some unused frequencies? WHY WHY WHY?

Seriously, I'm going to publish this fact everywhere I can, because if knew beforehand, I would never have paid so much for such a useless wifi distortion unit. I would *not* have bought it.

Second thing is the fact it's reliability fully relies on your internet being up (and wireless signals not being distorted purposely). I can just pull the phone-cable outdoor so the DSL is lost, I can even check the wireless band from my car for the netgear ssid (which is always the same) and then switch on a scrambler and rip the house blind.

This has got to be the most insecure system ever, there's no local backup option of the footage, no memory, nothing (I've tested it). Frankly, not at all what I expected from a big name like netgear. Your routers are OK, but this arlo hands-off cloud-only stuff blows. And then no Advanced config in the base-station? For crying out loud you guys, get that fixed channel setting in the firmware or I'll send my expensive arlo crap right back to the seller.

Comments
rbaker11
Novice

I cannot for the life of me fathom why this is even a question.  It MUST be configurable.  Additionally, I don't want to broadcast an SSID!  I have a wee hunting cabin I use this for, I bloody well don't want anyone freaking seeking it out because they ran across an SSID while poaching on my land!

wasseng
Tutor

I have my router, Arlo base station, Hue base station, SmartThings hub in close proximity, all using WiFi. I second the need to be able to control the channel on the Arlo!

wesmaniam
Aspirant

I don't know why I am even bothering since it seems like no one is listening but I too need to be able to change the channel. I can't control the neighbors APs that all seem to default to channel 6.  I have clear channels on either side of that but this arlo base station wont use them.  I have managed to keep one camera connected for 12 hours now but the other one which is only 25 feet away wont stay connected. Once these things lose connectivity you have to take the battery out and reset them before they will connect again.  I am very close to just returning the whole thing.

davem05
Novice

I agree with this request. Everytime my WiFi performance goes to hell, I can fix it by moving the router channel so that it is different than Arlo. Unfortunately I think one of the last Arlo updates has made the problem worse because now the Arlo seems to follow the router channel within about 24 hours. I am a big fan of the Arlo product and have had multiple cameras installed for sometime,  but I am ready to pull it out because the WiFi performance is now getting so impacted and I cannot keep the devices separated on different channels.

stesco00
Fledgling

Same problem here.  It seems absolutely asinine the Arlo base would look for the strongest competing network and then select the same channel.  I'm baffled that a company who's primary business is networking would make this mistake in the first place, plus fail to remedy in any sort of a timely fashion.

NowakerTmp
Star

Insane.

Modge
Fledgling
Same issue here - I upgraded my internet to help and it just sucks my wifi into the abyss.

Please change and make Arlo channel configurable on a software update soon.
fkepwsojkfp12i
Fledgling

When Arlo selects a wifi channel by itself my system will not work. I have to set all my three APs to the same channel, let my arlo follow them and then switch wifi channels on all my APs every reboot! An advanced setting "wifi channel" would solve this.

MSwolly83
Star

This is a necessity for a wireless product streaming data with its own base station.

Seems ridiculous to NOT have this feature.

Alex5
Aspirant

This is crazy. Arlo Pro had destroyed the reliability of my wifi system. Make the freaking channel configurable!