Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extend Range of Cameras (via repeaters)

So far, I love Arlo.  I live in the forest and have a lot of land and distance is what is limiting from creating a security system with Arlo like I truly desire.  If Arlo had a camera/base-station repeater(s) that would extend the range of the cameras and basestation, I feel like it would open up a lot more possibilities.  This would allow you in theory to have many different line of site repeaters between the camera and the base station which would allow you to have cameras over much larger distances.  This would be awesome and really really hope that something like this comes out for Arlo.

Comments
Jemi
Novice
I agree. The cameras communicate on a frequency and should be able to have an extender inbetween base station and camera. Right now it appears to be a max of 200feet LOS. If a building is between then it's hard to get 100feet. Anyone know the frequency of the camera? Is it same as base both directions?
dk6430
Aspirant

If you have a way off location for a camera, there needs to be a better way to extend the range. Currently it is recommended to move or add a base station (which you can not buy solo) using a wifi range extender away from your router.

So I figured out what it means, but it does not solve my problem, because:

1. I need to leave the base station connected to the extender - i could have used a longer cable

2. I have a camera far off, so I need to exttend the wireless range

3. I need to connect it between the camera and the base station - I need the credentials for my base station to do that

this makes it both more expensive and compliacted, as I would still need a cable from the extender to the new base station...

Arlo needs to find a better fix - for example, you could make a special version of the range extender and use the WPS button as a sync button - not only is it more clutter the way you suggest it, but $30+ more electricity (even more in CA) a year (as I need now 2 additional devices, not one) not to talk about the waste of energy and buying an unnessesary base station (requires additional kit)

rap93
Novice

I have read through a number of discussion threads and think I have a clear understanding of this issues.  If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected and be eager to hear the solution.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in the fact that there is currently no way to extend the range between camera and base station.  I also find it quite hard to believe in 2015.  Especially coming from Netgear.  All the marketing and push around buying extenders to increase range is at best disingenuous, if not outright deceitful.  Being able to move my base unit to another room doesn't do any good when that also moves it farther away from a desired camera location.  Netgear should be ashamed of this particular aspect.
I would hope a solution to this is being worked on as we speak.

JamesC
Community Manager

rap93,

Welcome to the community! There is not currently any way to extend the range between camera and base station. Thank you for contributing the idea!

Cirrus
Tutor

I can't believe this has got so little Kudos so far. The lack of repeater availability was the first weakness in the system that I came across. This would surely be a popular add-on product for the Arlo system.

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Iamsilver
Novice

Totally agree. Would really help if the camera's could piggy back on each other their network connection. Come on Arlo!

TreeMan wrote:

So far, I love Arlo.  I live in the forest and have a lot of land and distance is what is limiting from creating a security system with Arlo like I truly desire.  If Arlo had a camera/base-station repeater(s) that would extend the range of the cameras and basestation, I feel like it would open up a lot more possibilities.  This would allow you in theory to have many different line of site repeaters between the camera and the base station which would allow you to have cameras over much larger distances.  This would be awesome and really really hope that something like this comes out for Arlo.

Dcardinale
Aspirant

I have a Netgear extender which I use for my iPhone and smart TV in by backyard.  Netgear should find a way to connect cameras that are closer to my rear yard extender and the ones in the front of the house to the main router without buying another base station.

ijg1963
Aspirant

April of 2015 this was flagged as 'future consideraiton'.  2 years later, is it safe to say there's just no interest in developing a way to extend the range of the system, or was there a solution to it that I just don't know about.  Just sent 6 cameras back because they're for areas of the house where the reception was just awful.  (I have a Wifi mesh but before that, these areas were also bad.)   Is there a 'repeater' of some type in the works, or do I need to look at another system and give up the dream?

JamesC
Community Manager

ijg1963,

While there is not currently a way to extend the signal for a base station, there is no limit to the number of base stations that can be added to an account. This allows the user to add additional base stations to improve signal strength.

JamesC