Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Activate a certain mode when connected to home wifi network (alternate mode to geofencing)

If I get connected to the same wifi-network with a defined smartphone/tablet, the mode of the arlo wire free or arlo q should automatically switch to another mode, for example "deactivated". This mode is an alternative to the geofencing-mode, but it's quite easier to program I think...

Comments
vanitalo
Fledgling
I agree, this should be in addition to geo-fencing. I have problems with location services when at home as my highrise apartment doesn't always allow my phone to report the correct location (even when using the largest radius). If the app/Arlo base simply checked that they were on the same wifi network that would easily qualify as being at home and could switch mode to home mode automatically.
belibala
Onlooker
Geofencing may not able to switch between away mode or home mode if user live in an apartment. For example, the shopping mall at downstairs. Therefore, switching depends on cell phone connected SSID May solve the problem
halfwalker
Guide

I have a vms4430 4-camera Arlo Pro kit, bought the other day to check out.  So far so good.  Geofencing seems to work OK for the most part, but there are a couple of gotchas ...

Inside the house the phone will sometimes lose GPS lock - nature of the beast.  When it does, Arlo flips over to Armed, and notifications/emails go out.  A minute later it's back, and it flips to disarmed.  Back and forth.  This makes Geofencing pretty much unusable when we're at home.

How about having the base station check for the presence of the phone(s) on local wifi ?  Just about everyone has their phone on the home local wifi.  It would hopefully be more reliable than a phone trying to verify the GPS lock while indoors ...

Tsokee
Novice

I wanted to suggest the same thing. If mobile connects to same SSID Arlo is on then auto off and auto on in case of disconnect.  It could be used with geo referencing or as standalone setup.  

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the communities contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on it's potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Thank you,

JamesC

bradleyem
Novice

Here's a simple suggestion, and one I don't see already

Geofencing is great, but it would be good if it could just use the phone's wifi state - as at home I'm connected to my home wifi.  When I'm not, I'm not.   This may be less battery drain than GPS on phones.

I suspect IFTTT could do something similar, but not when you're checking multiple devices.

TonyV-NZ
Novice

This would be great. To date I've found Geofencing somewhat haphazard whether it works or not. This would be a simple solution. 

spurriousgod
Initiate

This is a great idea.  I've found the geofencing to be really buggy recently....this would make it much easier.

ethreepeeoh
Novice

This is a GREAT idea. Frankly, a no-brainer. The geofencing using location is not reliable. As I type this, AT HOME. I am getting notifications because my wife is walking around. It's quite ridiculous. 

maartenklein
Tutor

To create a reliable Wifi Geofencing (rather than GPS) option. In practice we should be able to execute following:

1 -  Phone A (me) IS NOT on Wifi and Phone B (Mrs.) IS on Wifi, then....

2 -  Phone B IS NOT on Wifi and Phone A IS on Wifi, then....

3 - Phone A and B ARE on Wifi, then....

4 - Phone A and B ARE NOT on Wifi, then....

Currently GPS Geofencing has hickups due to weather circumstances, but also is of no use inside our perfectly isolated house. Using an app to switch on the system is too slow and also depending on the used device (too many clicks to get there and the owner is never permitted to be with an empy phone battery....). 

Please vote for Wifi Geofencing for multiple users.