Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Use H.264 codec instead of HEVC codec

Why are you still using HEVC codec? With it, it is impossible to view videos in 2K or 4K directly from the browser. This codec only support on Safari browser, but Safari browser does not support for Windows.
It would be better to use H.264 codec

Comments
StephenB
Guru

@sanioxxx1982 wrote:

but Safari browser does not support for Windows.

It will work with the edge browser

• if you install the microsoft HEVC extension (which is an appx, not a browser extension). and
  • if you have a PC that has hardware acceleration for HEVC.

sanioxxx1982
Follower

If, if, if ...
Buy the app .. Have HEVC hardware acceleration ..

I already paid a lot of money for the Arlo Ultra and every month I pay for the plan, Why do I still have to pay for anything ??

StephenB
Guru

@sanioxxx1982 wrote:

Why do I still have to pay for anything ??

The short answer is because Google and Mozilla chose not to put HEVC support in Chrome and Firefox, and Microsoft chose to charge for HEVC support in Windows.  HEVC (and VVC) royalties are quite a bit higher than H.264, and that has sharply limited adoption for internet applications.

HEVC is much newer than H.264, and gives the same visual quality at half the bitrate.  That lowers Arlo storage costs considerably.  I agree that it is a nuisance if you use the web interface to review your videos. Having an option to switch to H.264 would solve that problem, so hopefully Arlo will consider your idea.

In any event, the combination of HEVC extension+Edge  works on my newer Intel PCs.  I recently tried Edge w/o the extension, and that didn't work.  Browser playback can be tested independently of Arlo here: https://h265.webmfiles.org/embed-h265-video.php

JG_in_SB
Fledgling

I use the Pro 4 cameras but I think this applies to all of the Arlo cameras.  Please change how the Arlo web portal provides video clips so we can actually view them in our browser.  Arlo currently uses HVEC, a format that is not compatible with any popular web browsers.

When a user clicks on a video clip, they are greeted with a dialog box that says "This video is not able to play in your browser.  Please download to view."  This is incredibly annoying.  Users should not have to download clips to view them.  It makes it really impractical to review the clips.  I just want to click through the clips and see them when I click on them.  Not go through some process that creates files I then have to go back and delete later.

Arlo should use a format that will play inside Chrome, Safari, Firefox or a browser anyone uses?  Please fix this.  I almost returned my Arlo hardware and got a different brand because of this.

StephenB
Guru

@JG_in_SB wrote:

I use the Pro 4 cameras but I think this applies to all of the Arlo cameras. 

FWIW, it only applies to 2K and 4K recordings - Pro 3, Pro 4, and Ultra cameras.  Not the rest.

HEVC will play in Safari (at least on newer Macs), and it will play in Edge on newer PCs that have the Microsoft HEVC extension app installed.  Note this isn't a browser extension, it's a Windows extension that allows the OS to use HEVC hardware.

JG_in_SB
Fledgling

StephenB Thanks for the info.  I think a high-end system like Arlo needs to work seamlessly fo users.  Especially users who pay for a monthly subscription.  You should not have to use special browsers or "workarounds" to get clips to simply play in a web browser.

The info about this only applying to 2k and 4k clips is helpful.  Hopefully Arlo gets with the program and updates to a different CODEC so that users who have paid for Arlo's most expensive products aren't the only users stuck with this issue.