Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Time and Date Display on video (Timestamp)

Preface: The property management company I work for purchased 8 Arlo cameras to set up around the apartment complex I manage. 

The current system does not provide an easy way to tell the exact time a specific time that an image within a video clip was captured, nor does it provice an easy way to navigate to a specific time within a video. The only mention of an exact time is the time listed when the camera began recording each clip. To find out when a still image within the video was captured, you must mentally add up the amount of time you are into a video and the start time of the clip. Example: I want to find the time 6:32 within a video clip. The video clip states that it starts at 6:30, so I navigate two minutes into the video.

My suggestion is to either add a time and date stamp to the video recording, in an unobtrusive area of the video, perhaps customizeable to which corner it appears in. Alternatively, rather than the time slider at the bottom of the clip playback stating the time into the video clip, it displays the real time the video was taken. Current setup for video playback begins at 00:00:00 and advances to 00:02:00, if video length is set to 120 seconds. Instead, it could start at the real time the video capture was taken and continue along at real time. Example: Video starts at 06:30:27 and the slider at the bottom of the playback advances to 06:32:27.

This would aid in finding a specific time in which an event reportedly occurred, as well as serve for better evidence when assessing a charge against a tenant for littering, as you could print out a screenshot of the video with a timestamp and attach it to a document for issuing a charge. It would also aid in police investigations or as evidence when in litigation. Police often come to my office to request video footage of a certain time and date, and this would assist them. We also have a problem with illegal dumping of mattresses and furniture, in which case we would need a timestamped image to present to police.

Thank you for reading this suggestion, and I hope that a timestamp could be implemented as an optional feature for the Arlo camera system in the future. 

J. Benson,
Ullrich Real Estate

Comments
Av8tor737
Tutor

A time stamp and date on the recorded video would be nice. 

WatchingYou
Onlooker

I agree, even when downloaded, the file names don't relate to when they were recorded. 

Could make it hard to prove if you relied on camera evidence in a court of law.

AD3
Novice
Novice

Has there been a response to this yet? I did not realize when I purchased this system that it would not put the recorded date and time on the video.

Johnstance5
Fledgling
hi, can or has the Arlo team consider adding date/time stamp to the shared video? Seems a simple but important piece of info to include
jguerdat
Guru

The filename actually has the date/time info embedded but it's the number os seconds from the epoch (1/1/1970).  Here's a converter:

http://www.epochconverter.com/

I note that the Android app downloads with a filename that includes the camera name and normal date/time.

Johnstance5
Fledgling

What I mean is, might the team consider showing date/time stamp on a page like this:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/9E9EE9C46EA1C63C

BrianL
Master

Hi Johnstance5,

Thank you for your raising a feature that may benefit other users. You may post a feature request here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/arlo-idea-exchange and give it a kudos. Adding kudos will help, as the development team may consider it to add to the product's future functionality.

Kind regards,

BrianL
Arlo Team

Johnstance5
Fledgling
On the target page of the 'share' link, please consider adding date / time stamp for the captured video or image in my library
cj
Tutor
Tutor
No kidding. Why would anyone not want a time stamp on a home surveillance system? NetGear has a great product in Arlo, but needs to upgrade some features based on customer reviews. I have already submitted video to police showing breaking an entering and theft. The first thing police asked was "when was this taken?" NetGear: customers want a time stamp. Constructive criticism: update your product to include a time stamp!!!!
bryanburke
Fledgling

I am an attorney and the earlier comments are correct.This is a very real issue and I hear nothing from Arlo about plans to correct it. Equally frustrating is the delay after motion detection before the systems begins recording. I just installed the 4 camera system and love it but frustrated with these issues.