Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
ag82
Fledgling
I noticed in settings there is a mute notifications setting where you can mute the alerts for a temporary period of time. The cameras are still on but your phone wont go off every 2 seconds.
halo311
Aspirant
@ag82 Not what we are asking for.
jss1srs4
Fledgling
Yes Yes Yes +100! Hate it when we just need to load up the vehicle and we get a dozen notifications (my dog hates it too)!
azarloGuy
Apprentice

Don’t get your hopes up we’ve been waiting 2 years and all we got was suspend notifications we want to stop the recording as well as that wastes the batteries.  That’s what we asked for and they either simply don’t understand or are not willing to do that.  In either case they are not customer focused at all!!

dgpate
Fledgling

Please add a feature allowing you to "pause" all notifications for a set period of time.  This would be much more useful than "muting" notifications entirely.  The concern with muting is forgetting to turn them back on when you may need them.  If you could "pause" for a period of time, such as when you know you'll have people outdoors for a party or something setting off the camera a lot, you can turn off the notifications for just the period of time you need and ensure that they will come back on at the appropriate time.

Elvite
Fledgling

While I am enjoying my video doorbell, there is one thing that is sorely missing: the ability to disarm the camera for a set amount of time and then have the camera automatically rearm it at the end of the timer. Frankly, I’m surprised this hasn’t been an app feature by now. Obviously, one can disarm the camera manually, which is great, but then you have to remember to re-arm it later or else you will not be getting the protection or conveniences of the camera offers. First world problems, huh? 🙂

For example, a couple weeks ago my wife was doing some yardwork in the front yard and was constantly setting off the video doorbell motion detection (unintentionally). I was getting notifications every other minute, so I disarmed the doorbell. Unfortunately, I forgot to re-arm it and didn’t notice until three days later after having received some package deliveries a couple days in a row and wondering why my video doorbell  wasn’t working right. My only workaround is to set a separate timer on either my phone or my Amazon Echo to announce that I need to re-arm the door. This really should be an option within the Arlo app. Here’s hoping this feature can be integrated. It’s really a great camera otherwise.

If this feature has already been requested to Arlo, my apologies. Please let me know if they have said anything about it, are working on it already, or have rejected the idea outright. I did search the community. I did not see anybody talking about it in the ideas section so I thought I would submit here as it seems like the appropriate place for the discussion.

azarloGuy
Apprentice
  • It’s a great suggestion and this has been asked I think close to 2 years ago and repeatedly inquired about since.  I asked about this almost 2 years ago for any camera or base station to be disarmed temporarily to preserve battery life.  Their answer was to give us temporarily turn off notifications.  ability.  Totally  misses the point as the camera still records draining the battery.  When you are 1700 miles away during the winter months and my driveway gets shoveled I don’t need to have a recording for that.  They don’t listen and they don’t care.  It’s really sad.

drewlb
Aspirant

Yep, the fact that they don't listen and don't care about users and won't do a very simple update that has generated over 400 requests since it was first asked for in 2015 is the reason that when asked, I've told numerous people NOT to buy Arlo. The company does not care. You can try tweeting 

Elvite
Fledgling

Thank you for the updates on this and your feedback. I guess then I’ll have to stick with my workaround...

1. Open the Arlo app, change to disarm mode
  2. Say “Alexa, set a rearm doorbell timer for one hour” or “Hey Siri, remind me in one hour to rearm the doorbell”.
  3. You can figure the rest

If I don’t do this, then I’ll end up forgetting and Murphy’s Law will dictate that this is when some expensive FedEx delivery will meet a porch pirate. ☠️ Lol

Is this type of timer feature present in the competition for outdoor cameras? Does anyone have recent experience with the competition who knows? Just curious now, but I’m hesitant to invest much more past my one Arlo device with this seemingly simple (and frankly a no-brainer one at that) feature not in place. I can especially see how people trying to manage the batteries on their cameras would be frustrated by this omission. Thankfully, my video doorbell gets power from my house, so I don’t nearly have as much to complain about as most of you do.

Right now I’m very happy with the $3 a month plan I have and I think Arlo offers much more feature-wise overall for the buck then the competition does. It just boggles my mind that a timer that reverts back to one’s default security mode was not immediately added into the feature set during beta testing. 

blulitesp
Novice

When I go outside to mow, I would love to be able to "snooze" my cameras for a couple of hours and then have them automatically kick back on.  I currently just disable mine but I usually forget to turn them back on.  I just read through a forum about this where there were 420 replies so I'm not sure what needs to happen to see some action with this.... I am merely re-posting this in support of the feature.  If anyone knows any update on this I would love to know.  I have been suggesting this ever since I've owned these cameras.