Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
drewlb
Aspirant

Youve been getting the same request from hundreds of customers for a rather simple addition to your software for 3yrs. How many years and how many requests does it take before you listen?

Adding a "snooze" feature to temporarily disarm the system for a set time and then reverting to the prior mode would be huge in terms of improving the usibiltiy of the system. 

Please listen to us and prioritize this implementation. 

rneal
Tutor

I would also like to see a "temporary disable with resume in x minutes" feature.

Everyone enjoying the half-day outage today? It's our fault. The "engineering team" tried to implement the temporary suspend feature and blew up the data center.

cpnichols
Onlooker

Do we know that for sure or are you being sarcastic?

BriDee
Fledgling

@cpnichols

I believe that is called Wishful Thinking.

ewb110
Observer

Friendly reminder for all my fellow New Englanders.

SNOW DAY TODAY ALERT*** (which means you have to "MANUALLY" switch your mode to accommodate people home).  

***Don't forget to "MANUALLY" switch your mode back tomorrow while Netgear engineering keeps investigating.

@ewb110 - HA, but true. I got up an hour early today to take my daughter to a school function. Arlo helpfully gave me 26 alerts before I could get to my phone to change the schedule mode. For 10 minutes. So I could (hopefully) remember to change it back again after I left the house. 

Praying for warmer weather so I can start running cable through the attic. That much closer to ending this sour relationship! Robot Happy

mhnatt
Luminary

I would really enjoy a snooze or suspend feature. Sounds like this is a popular request. Hope someone with the power to chance the world, reads these comments. Thanks!

Al3
Onlooker
Onlooker

Been forever waiting for this feature to be added.  For the time being, we have added a WiFi smart plug into the mix (i.e. — the Arlo base station plugs into the smart plug).  Most WiFi-enabled smart plugs have accompanying mobile apps that can turn off/on the outlet, and thus the base station.  When we need to pause the alerts, we launch the app and turn off the base station (via the smart plug), and all is quiet.  The app also has a “timer” feature that will automatically turn the base station back on (and hence the alerts, etc.) after however many minutes we desire. Not a perfect solution, but it works.  We can also go into the smart plug app and override the “off” state at any time.

Hope this helps!

ewb110
Observer

Wow. That smart plug idea is pretty cool. I’m gonna have to try that.  

In in the meantime, Consumer Reports has not reviewed home security camera yet. After contacting them about the suggestion to conduct a review and possibly have this feature as one of their key features, here was their response:

As you might imagine, we get many suggestions for reports, this electronic product in particular. Please be assured that our members’ feedback plays a strong role in the work that we do. Because of this I have taken the liberty of sharing your suggestion with the appropriate members of our staff for their review and future consideration.”  

My money is on Consumer Reports publishing an in-depth rating on Security Cameras faster than Netgear rolling out this simple feature.  

What do you think @JamesC?  We’re 2+ years into your company’s laughable “Engineering Investigation”.