Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
DaveRP
Fledgling

I will just add one more name to the list. It is strange Arlo does not have this feature. I have forgotten several times to turn the system back on, resulting in it being off for days at a time. A pause is really necessary to make the system safer.

toblin
Fledgling

+1

hi folks, new here... came to the forum to check whether anybody had found a solution for this. Glad to see that it has already been requested as a feature. Does anybody know what “partially implemented” means? HomeKit support is marked as partially implemented and to the best of my knowledge HomeKit support is fully available for the cameras but not for the doorbell, but not sure what “partially implemented” means for this feature... would be great if somebody could clarify. Thanks in advance!

dgpate
Fledgling

I don't know if "partially implemented" is referring to this, but there is now a "Mute" feature in settings that allows you to Mute notifications for particular periods of time.  Once the time period is over, notifications start back up.  I've found this very helpful and seems to be in response to requests.

toblin
Fledgling

@dgpate : thanks for the quick reply and the pointer! That is indeed a handy function that I had not discovered! I think this should satisfy my needs for now. 

clouvion
Tutor

useful, but doesn't solve for battery drain; especially a problem when you have a remote property

useful, but doesn't solve for battery drain; especially a problem when you have a remote property

not cheap, but you might try installing two or more cameras in the same location.  Turn one on and leave the others off until the first one has exhausted the battery.  I have had good luck with solar panels where suitable, but locations are not always suitable for solar or power cords.

drewlb
Aspirant

There are ways to "hack" it into Arlo. I was somewhat successful with allowing a Samsung SmartThings hub to take control of the Arlo hub and then using IFTT to implement a way to turn it off. But it was too cludgy and I could never get it to work consistently, and it was time consuming. 

At the end of the day, this is something Arlo desperately needs in its functionality, which hundreds of users have asked for over the last 5yrs, and which Arlo's development team ignores. Getting it done is not hard, any SW Engineer could do it, and Arlo could implement it with very little effort. But they don't care about the user community or our needs, they just want to sell new units and know that most people won't find out about the flaws in the system till it's too late. 

azarloGuy
Apprentice

You are spot on.  I’ve been asking too for several years and it falls on deaf ears.  This is a company destined for failure and many think they are not far from it. Can’t explain this total lack of responsiveness and communication any other way.  They can’t blame it on the virus as it’s been an issue for several years.

gccam
Fledgling

Another vote for this! Front and center of Arlo app — temporarily suspend motion/sound detection.

azarloGuy
Apprentice

Amazing how we’ve been asking for this for at least 3 years.  Other companies like Honeywell who I deal with on my thermostats and their app which recently developed a problem within hours I got a response via Twitter asking specific questions and then being told that engineering will address it.  Compare this to Arlo who won’t even address it or acknowledge it.  Wyze is releasing a wire free outdoor  camera which I will be checking out soon.  I already have several of their other cameras and soon will be selling my Arlos.