Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
ltrain
Aspirant

Exactly Halo311 - this is a super simple function to implement. I don't want my batteries running down because my kid is playing basketball by the garage. Ring cameras are about $100 each, with $100/year for service. And they have working solar options. I'm definitely going to move over.

I don’t usually find myself defending Arlo, but I consider facts important when discussing pros and cons of various systems.

I have a ring doorbell and camera.  Ring also Only suspends notifications on a single device.  It does not suspend recording.  

My Arlo solar panels work great, so I don’t see any advantage there. 

Ring battery powered cameras are much larger than Arlo cameras...at least the spotlight sure is.

Ring does not have geofencing and even the Ring “schedule” functionality only provides a schedule for silencing notifications, not arming and disarming cameras.

Be careful to read the fine print and read the community forums for all products before you buy them.   In my experience there are usually plenty of complaints on every forum.  I find it very sad this is true, but it appears to be the case.

halo311
Aspirant

@AncientGeek 

When i bought my Arlo system, i knew it didn't have this feature.  Didn't miss any fine print.   I saw this thread and gave my vote.  The problem is, Arlo obviously isn't listening to it's customers.  Look at how long this thread has been active.  Doesn't that tell you something? 

azarloGuy
Apprentice

Yup halo311 has it right.  That’s the point everyone seems to be missing we’ve been asking for this forever.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice

Again this past week I turned off my system so that the notifications and recordings  from my Landscaper at my home  1700 miles away would stop and to preserve battery life.

5 days later I realized my cameras were disarmed still.  This is why we need the temporary disarm and rearm or to allow for multiple schedules so we can do it ourselves.

Who cares what ring does or doesn’t do, we gave our money to Arlo and have asked Arlo to help us with this.  Why can’t they at least tell us why or why not they can or can’t or won’t do this.

Wait
Tutor

Yep I just wanted to +1 this idea and make sure the Dev team is aware this would be a great feature. I think there could security issues if it's too easily enabled by a user unwittingly. If a preset number of cameras could be temporarily disabled, the same way you slide across the screen to manually enable the base alarm, it'd be a very handy and foolproof feature. 🙂

Kktracy3
Apprentice
Just like the mute notifications option... I wish I could disable motion detection for certain lengths of time. Say 30,60,90, and 120 minute options then it automatically goes back to armed or schedule or whatever you where on. Many times I disable my detection while I am outside in the driveway and then go inside and forget to turn it back on
siskiyoushasta
Fledgling

I know this has been suggested before, but can you put a feature that allows you to disarm for temporary periods, such as 1,2,4,5,8 hours or custom....

Oftentimes I disarm and forget to turn it back on, and then miss events. 

Another feature would be to allow for re-trigger blocking, like for one minute, two minutes, etc. Most motion detection cameras have this feature.

Fvs3731
Novice
Requesting a suspend motion detection via app.
arlofan66
Fledgling

Putting my loud vote in for this feature! My wife’s car was broken into on Saturday night, and of course the cameras were off as I turned them off earlier in the day when they were going off constantly with workers at the house. PLEASE Arlo, make this happen! You know this is an easy feature to build. Get on it!