Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
rneal
Tutor

Does muting notifications mute them for all android devices connected to the hub or just the device you select the mute option on?

We have two tablets and two phones bleeping and yelling 'motion detected!' over and over when the lawn guys are here or the Mrs. is working in the garden. Will I need to mute on all those devices or just one?

I’m pretty sure this would be specific to each mobile device...not a global mute.  It is that way for a Ring Devices and I suspect it makes sense architecturally.  Though I have always wanted a global mute on my ring doorbell, so I could mute both mine and my wife’s devices.

cbeers
Novice

This is just a lazy implementation of a bandaid to what we, the consumers, have asked for.  Does nothing for battery life at all!

"Does muting notifications mute them for all android devices connected to the hub or just the device you select the mute option on?"

It's all devices which is exactly what I personally would want.

There is only one negative I have with this latest update based on it's current design. It still sends an email notification of the movement. I would have assumed this would have been muted also.

rneal
Tutor

Just installed the update and tested it. No notificans on the muted device, but all the other devices still got notifications.

Seems like a better implementation would be a new "suspend" mode, with options for duration and the mode to return to after that duration. 

bsmith922
Aspirant

This new "feature" barely sounds like they've done anything to address the primary concern.  The request in this thread is to completely pause / suspend the entire system (no recordings, no notifications of any kind) for X amount of time, on ALL devices.

Basically just set the system to Disarmed for X amount of time, and at the end of X time, set it back to Schedule (or Armed if no schedule is defined).  It sounds so simple in theory.  Hard to believe that 4 years after this has been requested, all they could provide is this sort of hack to just temporarily stop notifications on a single device.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

rneal,

Muting notifications in the Arlo app on a mobile device automatically mutes notifications on any other devices that you’re signed in to, such as a tablet. You can read more about it here: What is the Mute Notifications feature and how do I use it?

Arlo Moderator

rneal,

Muting notifications in the Arlo app on a mobile device automatically mutes notifications on any other devices that you’re signed in to, such as a tablet. You can read more about it here: What is the Mute Notifications feature and how do I use it?

============

Jessica,

Two thoughts.

1.  I can't be "signed in" to more than one mobile device or PC at the same time.  If I login on a second device, I am immeditely logged out of the first device (a common user complaint, actually) , so did you mean something other than "signed in" when you made the above comment?

2.  I believe the question was around muting the "system" for all users including invited guests.  Basically wanting to silence notifications for known activities no matter who may be receiving those notifications.

wrenko
Fledgling

Well I guess it's a start, but I agree this doesn't help with battery life of the camera since it will still be recording clips even though it isn't notifying you.  After thinking about this more, I guess another option to add is to be able to "turn off" select cameras for x amount of time.  So if you have 5 Arlos around your house: Front Door, Garage, Both sides of House, and Backyard you can turn off recording on the specific camera(s) that has an activity you are aware of. If you are working in your garage for example, just "turn off" the garage camera for x amount of time. If you are having a backyard bbq, then "turn off" the backyard camera for x amount of time.   After that x amount of time is complete, the camera automatically turns back on and goes back into the same mode that it was in prior to turning off. Best way would probably be from the far left tab "Devices" where it lists all your cameras, hit the setting for the camera you want and inside there would be a similar selection like the mute that was just added but it would say Off for 30 minutes, 1 Hour, 3 Hours, 24 Hours. 

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice

It’s either they are incompetent, lazy or saving that feature so that you can have it if you pay for it.  My guess is they will add it to paid features set. As a software developer myself this is not a big ask.