Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
BillGoMe
Novice
We need a feature that will allow a pause on motion detection for a set period of around 30 minutes so when gardeners or pool cleaners come we don’t get an alert every 15 seconds until they leave
pgalbavy
Guide

Look! Look! We're halfway there (and living on a prayer...)

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Android-App-2-7-12-16th-July-2019/m-p/1712...

Release Details:

Arlo Android Mobile App version 2.7.12

Highlights:

New Feature : Mute Notifications will temporarily silence push notifications to your mobile device, while videos will continue to be recorded. This is great for a party, when you don't need to be notified of friends on your back patio!

Mute Notifications can be found in the Settings section in the app.

(Arlo Baby owners - to prevent missing crucial alerts, all notifications will continue to be sent even when Mute Notifications is active.)

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-iOS-App-2-7-12-16th-July-2019/m-p/1712296

Release Details:

Arlo iOS Mobile App version 2.7.12

Highlights:

New Feature : Mute Notifications will temporarily silence push notifications to your mobile device, while videos will continue to be recorded. This is great for a party, when you don't need to be notified of friends in your back yard!

Mute Notifications can be found in the Settings section in the app, and Arlo Smart users can activate Mute Notifications directly from push notifications.

(Arlo Baby owners - to prevent missing crucial alerts, all notifications will continue to be sent even when Mute Notifications is active.)

DirkM
Fledgling

Finally! 

Whoo hoo, finally it's here! If this works then I'll be using it at least one time a week.  I'm so happy I can almost cry.

drewguy
Aspirant

"halfway there" is right - it will be good not to get a billion notifications.  But still a hassle to go delete a billion recordings . . .

I semi-disagree on the 1/2 way. It's exactly what I wanted. I have a Weekend Daytime Mode I created that does exactly what Mute does. Don't notify me but record. I have extra batteries so swapping them out a week or so early isn't a big deal.  It's 100% perfect for me at this point. Well, at least on the mobile end. It's still missing in the web interface but that's not a deal breaker. Hopefully they'll add that in soon.

It is good to see some action on this front for sure.   This likely helps a huge segment of the Arlo customer base.

However, this is useless to anyone monitoring more than one physical location.  I certainly don’t want to turn off notifications for all four of the locations I monitor in order to silence the notifications for the location experiencing excessive “friendly” activity.  

Also this does nothing the help battery life, since recording continues while notifications are muted.  It would be great if they found a way to make that an option.  Record or don’t record while muted.

Ideally muting would be per camera (or other device).  Or perhaps at the same level of granularity as geofencing.  It should at least be by physical location, but then, Arlo doesn’t really know anything about physical locations other than geofencing.  If I installed a wireless base w/cameras and a mix of Arlo Q family cameras or an Arlo Go all at the same physical location, those are all in their own completely separate managment domains...except at the app level.  So I have no coordinated control of all of the devices located at a single location.  Five Q’s means five complete setups to make and maintain independently with no way to share modes between cameras to my knowledge.  Even the ability to export and import a configuration would be a big help.  

Or how about the option to store credentials for several different Arlo accounts at the app level, so I could easily switch between account domains and set up one account per physical location.  It would be awkward, but would be an improvement over what we have today.  Ideally, “Location” or “Site” should be a managment domain within the app under the account level, so we could monitor multiple “Sites” on the same Devices screen while being able to control groups of devices as a collection on a single “Site”.  Nest has this construct at some level, but their devices are all individually managed.  Same for Axis.  Axis does, however, have the knowledge of sites at the account level and allows the storage of the credentials for each site, making switching back and forth fairly simple.  No vendor has all of this in one package.  Each has strengths and weaknesses.  We can only hope they keep learning from each other and copying the best features and functionality, so we can benefit from overall improvement in the industry as a whole.

But I digress.

bmwdriver7175
Apprentice

Exactly, useless if it still records.  It’s as much about saving battery as convenience.  Some people Say they don’t mind replacing batteries more often but consider that some people are monitoring a home thousands of miles away so that’s not a practical option to just hop on a plane and change batteries.  ideally if muting is option then sonshould record/don’t record while muting.  I wonder if any of the people writing software are users of the products.  I think it should be a requirement as then they can see and feel the impact they have when they improve the functionality and how it impacts them and just having a lab should not count.  But hey at least there is progress I’ll give them that.

drewguy
Aspirant
Good points @ancientgreek. Muting notifications in the app is simply an app-side solution that doesn't really address the full issue, as you point out. A minimum reasonable approach would be for each base station (presumably there's a different one at each location), but per camera muting would be the best for all the reasons stated. Fine to have mute notifications, but that's really just so you don't get annoyed with popups and tones. But it does nothing to address the other issues. There still should be an option to turn off a camera or set of cameras for a specific period of time.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Partially Implemented

As pgalbavy mentioned earlier, we have launched the Mute Notifications function on the Android (version 2.7.12) and iOS (2.7.12) app. You can read more about it here:

We will be sure to update the community when we hear any new information update regarding to temporarily suspend video and audio recording. We appreciate everyone's patience!