Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
JoBu-NY
Tutor

DigitalAlien I disagree ... the trade off of NOT being battery powered is not worth it for me. I have cameras in locations I physically cannot wire, so a Wyze Cam would be worthless to me. 

drewlb
Aspirant

DigitalAlien I also disagree. There are a ton of cheap IP camera's out there. While some MIGHT be secure, most have been proven not to be. 

https://learncctv.com/hacked-cctv-cameras-used-on-ddos-attack-is-your-camera-safe/

Besides the battery, Alro at least is "real" US company and accountable to US law and liabilty. Most of the cheap IP cameras have no real company behind them, and no security on the app. And you need to give the app access to a ton of stuff on your phone to use it, as well as access to your network. Plus who knows where the server is that stores the video and who has access to that.

So for all Arlo's massive flaws and the fact that they seem to ignore us on our feature requests, at least we have some peice of mind.

JohnFLand
Fledgling

DigitalAlien -- The complaint in this thread is the lack of an automatically timed pause/snooze/suspend feature. Which you admit the Wyze Cam lacks ("They do not have a snooze feature but you can add a ON/OFF button to your home screen to easily turn notifications off for a while."). Arlo cam schedules can also be turned OFF or ON manually. That's the problem -- it's manual (and frequently forgotten). So your point is?

DigitalAlien
Aspirant

Have you even looked up the Wyze cams? They are a "real" company based in Washington State which is in the USA. Also, yeah if you HAVE to have battery powered your options are very limited I get that. It's something I think most people can work around though. Also, Arlo cams may also be based in the USA but it's all made in China regardless. For future reference though Wyze Cam may be coming out with a battery powered camera, and best of all they are VERY receptive to there community. As for security, Wyze cams seem to be as secure as Arlo.

DigitalAlien
Aspirant

Also my point is that Arlo cameras are bad for the price you pay and there are other options available. And from companies that actually respond to user feedback. People want other options and I am simply making a suggestion of an alternative I found  that works better for me and at a much lower price point. 

cbeers
Novice

Good afternoon Arlo Community.

I have been an Arlo Pro user for the past 2 and a half years. I have seen the features grow continuously as the Arlo team has made all sorts of improvements.  One improvement to the Arlo product I know that many users would benefit from would be the ability to snooze notifications or pause recording on individual devices for a set Snooze time.  

Background: Rather than disabling the camera indefinitely when you want to do something outside on your property, or say you are going to be in and out of a door where a camera is installed I think it would be very useful to be able to suspend operations for a set time. 

Example of usefulness: It takes about 30 minutes for me to mow my backyard, and if I don't remember to disable the camera it records constantly and alerts both my Wife and me constantly. Also, the battery of my camera is drained quite a bit during the chore.  Obviously, I know that I can go in an disable the camera but herein lies another issue, forgetting to turn it back on. Only to find out when you pull open the Arlo app to find it still disabled when there is a loud bang in the middle of the night.

Arlo Team, please work on a "Snooze" feature that will allow Arlo users to disable notifications and recording on specific devices for a user-set period of time. 

Heck, put it exclusively in your Arlo Smart subscription and it can add even more attraction to the premium service and increase your profits!

Thanks!

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

Thats a great idea....  you should submit it in the Idea Exchange thread

halo311
Aspirant

Another vote for a "Snooze" camera function. There are many times i am outside and would like to disable my camera for 15 min, 30 min, or more minutes.  Currently i have to disable the camera when working outside and remember to re-enable them.   I'm surprised this feature doesn't exist... 

MariaL
Novice
We have a VMB4000r3 in our holiday house. What do you suggest to do when the cleaning lady comes to work . Would be great if she could simply turn it off whilst there without having to give her access to the system. I don’t like the thought of her thinking I’m watching her every move etc.
Sagaragrawal
Fledgling

Here is one more vote for this feature.

Being able to turn the cameras off for a set time would be amazing. I always forget to turn my system back on after the kids are out playing or I mow the lawn. Let us snooze the cameras so we stop getting notification and killing the camera batteries. Then have them turn back on automatically. This would make the app and the system as a whole totally and completely worth the investment.