Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Temporarily suspend video and audio recording

It would be nice to have a mode called "Temporarily Suspend" that disables the current mode for a set period of time (30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, etc).  This would allow a user to turn off all cameras but they would automatically return to the previous mode after the set period of time.

Comments
Spar6
Aspirant

I found a workaround to partially make up for Netgear's abject failure to put in this simple feature. I created an IFTT script to turn my cameras on a couple times a day. I also created a "do" button in IFTTT on my phone that is a widget on my home screen to disable my cameras. I simply press that button to disable my camera when it is capturing a ton of activity that I don't want--usually my kids playing in the backyard. I don't have to worry about turning the cameras back on because the IFTTT script will run at the two set times and turn back on. One of the times is just as I'm going to bed to make sure they are on at night (my kids are obviously not playing at this hour, so it's a good time to run the script). 

DPhilips1
Onlooker

I just purchased my new Arlo Q.  I installed it in a out building that is a area that I do some infrequent hobbies in.  I would like to have a pause button on the arlo app that would allow you to pause alerts/video captures for a user input time (1-10 hours).  

Thanks

Dphilips1

DPhilips1
Onlooker

This would be a great idea.  It is annoying to continue to get alerts when you know you will be in front of the camera.  A pause or suspend button in the app with an option of 1-10 hours would be verfy usefull 

cneu
Observer

Do they ever read anything here? Why for years there was not a single response from them to this issue? Does this thread have any effect on anything? Either they don't care, or they don't read their own forums.

No, they don't read anything here. The only app updates I ever see are for their crappy new cameras. 

Don't get mad anymore - I am phasing out my Arlo system with a combination of hardwired cameras and Ring products. Ring is doing the things that Arlo can't/won't. I'm much happier with my Ring stuff. 

Granted hardwired isn't easy for most, but if you're serious about home security, it makes sense. I'm done with Arlo, though. They're the Spotify of the wireless camera world. I just stay subscribed out of morbid curiosity. 🙂 Hang in there. 

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo team is still working hard to deliver new features to all existing Arlo product lines. I encourage you to continue offering your support for these ideas by adding Kudos. As ideas are being considered, the status of the idea here will be updated.

JamesC

I'd just be happy if the existing stuff worked as promised. Here's the latest one I'm dealing with today. Fortunately, I've got a Square Trade warranty. They keep breaking, I keep swapping them out under warranty. My hunch is, Square Trade is gonna quit covering these......

False alarms, anyone? (*Sidenote - I think Arlo is incahoots with the CR123 manufacturers...lol)

arlo.jpg

mfitzy8
Follower

James,

How many years does it take to investigate an obvious necessary feature?  I posted this over two years ago and have since seen the functionality implemented in competitive products...like my Ring doorbell.

I work in the software development space and understand agile....rapid prototyping, fail fast.  Get your end users a highly desirable feature please!  User experience trumps technological capability in most cases.  Apple may not have the best phone out there but the operating system is intuitive, loaded with features and just plain works.

NETGCOLA
Fledgling

I have given some shower time to think why this feature is NOT implemented yet.

things that come to mind

Legal issues - what if something happens while the camera is snoozed. which party is liable

monetary issues - Arlo might be encouraged by profits to continue to fill the storage MBs and encourage its users to upgrade their service by not enabling this feature?

Improvements prioritization - They are busy coding on other more important ideas?

in either case... Arlo team - really give this a consideration. your community is outspoken and would like at least periodic communication on this ask... better communication would be a start for sure.

Thanks

six2pelham
Follower

I'm not sure I buy into the legal issues. A popup or disclaimer would cover this and shift liability when using the feature. Monetary issue definitely makes more sense. I notice Ring has aded this feature to their products so not sure the idea is that far away from being practical. For the time being I've found a work around and it's through the app Stringify. I created a rule that says Arm my Arlo everyday at 10pm so when I turn it off during the day for whatever reason, it resets every day at 10p and so far it works great. I realize its not the same as Snooze but at least I don't go into the night and the days following with the system off. I tried IFTTT first but couldn't get it to work.