Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Alerting Mechanism for Base Station / Camera Offline

Our installation will be very remote beach house. There is a need for mains failure detection in case intruder has deliberately switched of the power. This would be a nice sofware update feature.

Comments
kg924793
Follower

I completely agree with this. I had a camera down all day and had no idea. I came home to the front door open. Thankfully I had another camera that could tell if anyone was around the open door but I couldn't tell if anyone was actually at the door.

Thankfully I am able to determine that my daughter just didn't shut the door completely but still. It woul have been a huge help if I would have known a camera had went off line.

bobbybrown79997
Onlooker

I have multiple arlo cameras and since I use these for security I would like to know if the cameras go offline.  There are times that cameras have gone offline by someone unplugging them and I didn't realize this until days or weeks later. Is there a way to set this up? Also, for instance, if someone wanted to break in they could just cut the electrical lines or internet and the cameras would be useless. With the notification, I would know something was going on, but without it, I wouldn't know until it is too late. 

jguerdat
Guru

Why not leave the batteries in the cameras while plugged in? That way power cut makes no difference and all you have to do is check the battery level to determine if the power is off (battery will start depleting). It would also be useful to use a UPS on your modem, router and base to ensure that your network and, hence, your cloud connection remains active.

bobbybrown79997
Onlooker

So there isn't a way to get a notification?  I can look into getting a battery backup but if someone cuts the internet line this wouldn't help. 

jguerdat
Guru

It all depends on your level of paranoia. If needed, some routers have the capability of adding a 3/4G cell connection as a backup.

bobbybrown79997
Onlooker
I have six cameras that are Arlo q's and they're not battery operated. So all it takes is someone to unplug those. You still are not answering my question does that mean they do not have any type of notification? Is there any discussion or talk that there will be?
jguerdat
Guru

You didn't say they were Q cameras and note that this is the Pro 2 (battery-operated) section. We can't read your mind.

Depending on what you're using the cameras for, you may get a video of the person unplugging up to the point of loss of power. Some folks have uses a USB battery pack that can be charged at the same time as being discharged (not all pack allow this) so power loss is then battery-backed. However, one would think an unplugger would see that, too. It would work better for whole house power cut as long as the aforementioned UPS for the modem and router is in place.

There is no notification of power or Internet loss other than by using the interface. I don't know if something like IFTTT could provide this for you.

Bakatsuda
Novice

This is mind boggling that it’s yet been implemented

Karuna
Aspirant

Since midnight last night I am getting email notifications that my camera has been reconnected and it gives how many seconds it was disconnected.

WHY do we receive the notifications of DISCONNECTION?  That would be very helpful. And notifications on our app would be great as well.

Karuna
Aspirant

CORRECTION:

I meant to say 
Why DON'T we receive notifications of disconnection FIRST?