Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
T9001
Star

@JamesC

We know you're there, because you replied! However, you appear to have missed the 16 or so people asking why this feature isn't available on the Original Arlo base station, when it has the USB ports?

mikeldennis25
Onlooker
Option to store locally without Cloud
jult
Star

Why do you claim this is 'Implemented'? I have yet to find a local storage option in my arlo settings.

dr92
Novice

Enabling local parallel storage of video to a NAS or USB device would be a HUGE benefit. The base station and data is already on the network; let users' networks save a local copy, perhaps with a selectable menu for Cloud/network/USB options. Pulling recorded video from the cloud is not practical--for one, it wastes bandwidth sending both ways!

ripcard
Aspirant

Option to record :

a) locally (USB) only

b) to the cloud

c) both

should absolutely be an option.

Tantan73
Novice
Netgear needs to upgrade the system so users can record to local network in the event of lost of internet services or access.

One should also be able to view footage over local network without having have to have internet service.
TomMac
Guru

You do know the USB backup will record if the interent fails ( on Pro / Pro2 ) and handle up to 2 TB size.

Also you can view same locally without internet

harrisdigi
Aspirant

Saddley It seems Netgear continues to market for the pro-sumer, yet buils for the AOL user.They have years of experiance building local user access interfaces, NAS stores and router based shares. (also usb connected) For what ever unknow reason they refuse to allow Arlo owners to Locally log in and manage their system. Even the ready-nas current firmware allosw LAN management.

The idea that a direct attached store would break their cloud account model is absurd. They are actually ailenating the very customers that can improve their product. The need to disconnect the external drive to view the stored events, breaks the evidentiary value of the recordings. The MP4 format without being exported from the system does not allow for watermarking.

The Pro system trying to attract integrators and professionals, has sorely missed the mark. Ubiquity is making a run at filling the void that netgear has ignored for years. I have not evaluated the Ubiquity cameras yet, I am just aware of them from their direct marketing to my company.

Why Netgear has activally avoided the creation of a prosumer advisory group, the creation of a beta group, directly engaging imagnative customers is beyond me 

MonteChristo
Onlooker
Well, unfortunately, it is not in Netgear's financial interest for you to be able to turn off the cloud. recording. You see, once you have more than 5 cameras, if you were able to store your recordings locally, Netgear would miss out on the profit for the additional cameras. Today they ca say, only 5 are free even though the base station supports 15. With local-only recording, this would reveal their strategy as what is is: money grabbing.. So while I support the request, it ain't gonna happen.
Chrishaunb
Follower

Why can us Arlo users not use the VMB3000 Base Station to attach a hard drive to store our images, unlike the Arlo Pro Base Station?  I think that it's not fair to people who have the legacy base stations can't do the same things that the current base station does.