Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

Laverne,

This feature is available via the Arlo Pro Base Station. For more information, see here: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

Hula_Rock
Prodigy

That guy who suggested that idea should get rewarded a system with that feature since his idea was implemented....  hahahahha

T9001
Star
Why is this not available on the original base station? It has a USB port. I look forward to your reply JamesC.
Mav1874
Fledgling
Support local storage in the original product. Firmware update to enable the Usb storage.
bogchop
Tutor

Hi,

This is a big request. I want to be able to disable cloud upload/storage, as data caps in my country (Australia) can be terrible, our upload speeds are slow, and connections are just generally unreliable. In some cases like mine, uploads are counted as part of the "usage" i.e. 500gb/month includes up AND down traffic.

I want to be able to record to a memory stick or HDD via the USB ports on the base station, or even possibly redirect to a NAS/local shared folder, with cloud storage/upload disabled.

I was ready to pull the trigger, but discovered that this may not be an easy option. Retrieving the video is not an issue for me, in terms of unplugging a HDD or USB stick. It's the disabling of cloud upload.

Thanks!

Tmiller966
Fledgling
2 years later and this still does not exist. Isps are getting stingy with bandwidth to that with several iot devices in a home and data adds up quick. Pushing firmware for is to utilize the usb ports for local storage or any local network storage would free up a little data on that cap
LewisC
Aspirant

Do we have an answer as to why the original Arlo system is not capable?

What are the USB ports for on the original system?

@JamesC?

ittroll
Apprentice

"Future expansion". But apparently this doesn't include USB storage. They are no doubt reserving them for some amazing killer feature which is even better...

LewisC
Aspirant

Maybe laser fields and aroma sensors?

Or maybe the addition of two USB 3.0 ports just makes a great selling point.

frankbackes
Novice

Hi,

What about the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is it able to record locally? We have a such in the demo lab and we have a few customers pending that are willing to monitor their contruction areas to protect from thefts and vandalism. But they don't want to go for the Cloud solution and they have the R7000 from us in place. So it would be great if they could us that one so we could sell quite a bunch of those cams. considering they have aprox 350 sites all together in permanence to monitor. So +- 10 cams per site and some sites even more would result in 3500 cams

Thx

Frank