Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

kmiller8821
Luminary

All,

I love the ability to save recordings to both the USB and cloud.  However, in the times my internet "glitches" during an activity, it would be nice to know (somewhere).  Today, when my internet drops, I obviously don't get any motion notifications or that video uploaded to cloud, but it does save it to my USB.  The problem is, I don't know "what I missed" unless I pull the USB drive and look back thru the recordings.  It would be nice if the base would upload those to the cloud once internet was restored and then send a notification to me.  It could be simple such as a notification that recent items were uploaded to the cloud as a result of an event that ocurred during an internet outage.  Even if I could look in the arlo base at say a log page where I could see internet was lost, that would prompt me to check my recordings.  Right now, I get no notifications and nothing uploaded once my internet is restored.  I'd like something to let me know that something was down so I know to check the USB.

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

T9001
Star

I just realised this has been implemented, but I don't see an option for it on my base station... Any clues?

ittroll
Apprentice

You did remember to buy a brand new base station, didn't you? The USB ports on the old base station are purely decorative.

T9001
Star

LOL. 

(We all know a simple firmware upgrade would fix that, but why do that when they can rinse us for a few more dollars...?)

Laverne
Aspirant

"Implemented in latest product"???   Really?  WHICH of the list of suggestions were actually implemented and into WHICH of the cameras?  ALL of them?  I think not.  Simply marking this as "Implemented in latest product" is almost rude, without any further explanation....  Am I missing something?

Laverne
Aspirant

SOooo on what cameras does this feature work on?

JamesC
Community Manager

Laverne,

Local storage backup is available on the Arlo Pro Base Station. Since this idea was posted, many new mounting options have been made available, take a look here for more information: ALL PRODUCTS & ACCESSORIES

Arlo Pro cameras now have a rechargeable battery pack and also can be powered with the included AC adapter.

Since this idea was posted, the mobile apps and web client have gone through many updates to enhance the user experience. We will continue making changes to the UI to improve usability and appreciate all feedback provided.

JamesC