Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. There are no plans to adjust the free Basic plan (7 days cloud storage). The free Basic plan is available to all users at no cost.

JamesC

vx7
Onlooker
Onlooker

My security concerns made me avoid the former Arlo Wireless version, because these days every week some site is hacked that was considered safe. I don't want to end up seeing the inside of my home exposed to the world.

So there's the new Arlo Plus Wireless with local storage backup, whatever this means.
This thread ('Support more storage options') is marked as 'Implemented in latest product' and the thread 'Can I record locally to my network and not use the Arlo Cloud services?' is marked as 'solved' so that raises hope, but I'm still not quite sure.

Right out: Can I use the Arlo Pro Wireless without using the cloud feature? Like storing on my own FTP-server or NAS or USB? If so, any cuts in functionality?

JamesC
Community Manager

vx7,

Take a look here for a detailed overview of how the local storage feature works: How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo Pro base station?

JamesC

FLJon
Aspirant

Is this feature going to be implemented in the non-Pro Arlo?

vx7
Onlooker
Onlooker

Thanks JamesC, that is a very helpful link.

I understand that when my internet connection is down the optional USB-recording still continues to work.

What about the email notifications when a camera detects a motion? I assume this requires the cloud storage via internet connection to work?

JamesC
Community Manager

vx7,

Push notifications and email alerts will not work if the internet connection is lost (the camera/base have no way of communicating to send these alerts without an internet connection).

JamesC

thedotlair
Follower

Yeah until you get bored or it costs too much and you remove the cloud storage service.

After what you've done with releasing the PRO basestation, this is only a matter of time as you've set the trend to make the original basestations useless paperweights

looker
Initiate

Its not possible to push the kudo arrow on part of an idea so I'm commenting instead.  Most of the ideas presented are addressed by introduction of the Arlo Pro system which I purcased and installed about one month ago.  

I like the new rechargable battery idea better than switch to AAs (idea 4) and I could AC power a Pro camera if that made sense in my situation (idea 5).  I'm pretty happy with the existing app (idea 6).  

I've had a couple of days with wind gusting up to 50mph and my mag mounts haven't moved.  However I agree with the submitter about his idea #2.  After I mounted the cameras to the mag mounts I ordered someting better.  I can't quite potion the cameras, which are mounted high on my house, down and inward enought so yeah the mag mounts need improvment.  I plan on taking them off when I get better weather and going with the better solution.

Where I totally have common ground with the submitter is on idea 1.  Even if Internet access goes down the system base should be smart enough to store camera data to a local hard drive.  Cloud shoud be backup but local storage storage should be primary in the system design in my opnion.  

ayegel
Tutor

For those of us with a Dropbox Pro account, it would be nice if Netgear offered an integration with Dropbox to automatically archive the footage for safe keeping. I get what you're trying to do and make us pay a monthly fee to view video prior to 7 days ago, but if this is to be taken seriously as competitive security camera it would be nice to see archived footage. When I want my footage, I should not have to manually download it one video at a time.

At minimum, there needs to be an Arlo API to retrieve videos...something to automate this process.

jguerdat
Guru

A workaround is to PM me your email address so I can send you a Python script that can be used to manually or, through a computer's scheduling capability, automatically download all videos.  You can set up Dropbox as the repository if you like.