Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Support more storage options

There are 2 type of markets:

Group#1: You have the none-techincal people, who just want to turn everything on, and start using it as a "for dummies" style. Everything is simplifed and beautifully presented to them without need to know all the technical stuff. They are welling to pay a reasonable fee for making their life easier.

Group#2: On the other hand, you have the computer geeks, like myself, would prefer my recordings goes to local NAS and then automatic synced to my OneDrive, this way I get a copy locally and a backup copy in my cloud. I know how to configure it, am familar with troubleshooting if have a problem. and frankyly I couldn't care less about the the nice interface after it has been configured. And i don't want to pay for more money when I already got tens of GB of cloud storage available at my dispose.

I see Arlo is satisfying only group#1, and making some money off the subscription. But I think group#2 would prefer an IP camera over Arlo partly due to the space limitation. If Netgear can support pushing recording to various cloud storages (local NAS, OneDrive, Amazon Cloud, Dropbox...etc), then you might get more share of group#2 market.

Comments
Xenachris
Novice

Was looking into purchasing system but no local storage stopped me in my tracks.  In today's world who wants to have their homes exposed to hackers or thieves?

WJ-GB
Fledgling

I'm surprised local storage is still not being offered

freichart
Onlooker

Yes, storing locally the full recordings and the alerts additionally in the cloud would be the best a user can dream of.

MrACDS schrieb:

We should be able to record directly to network drives. I have 6Terabytes of Hard Drive connected to my Netgear R7300 Router just waiting to be used. This would be perfect for me. If this is already an option please advise me how to configure. 

Superman2000
Apprentice

group one sounds like Iphone users. lol  As to the local storage,  netgear is probably never gonna make it happen.  It is the most kudoed?  idea in the exchange by far.  they have had over a year to do it and not a peep.  Why would they give up there cloud income for local storage?  I want it to.  cameras are worthless if you lose power or internet,  but there not gonna give access that could hurt the cloud money maker.

greg-baguley
Novice

Signed up just to kudos this too - the cloud storage is very useful, but it would be an incredible addition to be able to record to local NAS, or at least have some form of API to easily be able to automate downloading all motion/audio detected videos. 

Tooandrew
Tutor
I'm exceedingly disappointed in the arlo cameras. They are undependable and I will not pay you to rent your hard drive space. I have my own hard drives.
PerryPerry
Novice

Thank God I read all the reviews.  Your camera is a perfect solution except for the cloud storage crap!!!!!

Stop that crap please,  I do not want my private videos on someone else's server.   I am an IT guy and I know how many folks within your own organization would have access to this stuff which is a big turn off.

You almost have a perfect solution.   i was ready to install these cameras at my house and my business but the lack of the local storage option makes me go shopping somewhere else.

You guys would make so much money on the device.  Please stop forcing the Cloud Bull**bleep**!!!!

mhyde2
Fledgling

I was ready to buy, but no local storage is a deal breaker.

rkm
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is MUCH NEEDED simply because the better known the system gets, the more some "bad guys" will know that all it takes to make the 10 cameras around the house absolutely USELESS is to cut the internet connection. 

Having the option to store on a local harddisk or NAS - and then upload to the cloud - would be what I am looking for. 

I love arlo, but I'm honestly quite disappointed that functionality doesn't exist yet.

I'd be more than willing to PAY a fee to add a "NAS" layer to my cloud subscription...

Kai_Bo
Novice

I need the local recording function.