Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Neighborhood Watch "Mesh"

HI, I'm looking into a security system which households could buy individually and install in their own homes. Have one camera pointed to the street, park etc. Then have just this camera shared with all residents (and allow police access)  for a neighbourhood watch scheme through the whole housing estate.

Is this possible with this system? I see a post previously with a smaller version of this, but there aren't many details of the practicality and usage, or whether this allows for police access.

cheers

Comments
SimonF
Guide

We have a local neighbourhood watch set up and at present 3 neighbours share external street facing cameras with each other to provide a 360 degree view of the cul-de-sac.  All works swimmingly within the single instance of our Arlo App.

However the push notifications are not configurable by each user e.g. I receive push notifications from my neighbours camera. I would like to have the ability to configure notifications independent of the rules set up by the host.

greglee20
Star

Be really fantastic if there could be a Alert system so for example some one has tried to break into my Home or Car i then could post the footage to alert other Arlo users in my Area of the possible situtions so basicaly a Hook up to all Arlo user in my area or County .

marshalisms
Initiate

I have a Google Wifi mesh system.  It blankets my whole properly in and out with wifi coverage.  I have a camera on my garage and it barely picks up the base station, however, my phone connected to my wifi has full signal due to a satellite being closer.  Can you please allow us the choice to run these cameras on our existing wifi to then communicate with the base station?  I do not feel I or any other customer should have to buy additional base stations to hook up to our mesh wifi access points (Satellites).  Thank you!

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

bondservant
Tutor

The ability for a user to grant access to specific outdoor cameras to participate in a neighborhood "mesh network". Then in the Arlo app, I can see all those cameras that are a part of the neighborhood mesh program.  I can even setup triggers based on someone else's camera.  For instance, if a neighbor on an adjacent street has Arlo and a car pases, I want to be able to start having my camera recording.  The idea is if you get enough Arlo Pros in a neighborhood, you can build a video system that other's can benefit from.  This would mainly be a crime detterent. 

JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

answergrape
Fledgling

I totaly agree with marshalisms!

Allow us the choice to run these cameras on our existing wifi to then communicate with the base station.

Thank you

Seattle-B
Novice

Would also like to support the positive discussion of a feature requirement for compatibility Between Arlo cameras and google Wi-Fi mesh network.  Want to significantly expand my use of Arlo cameras, but need additional range extension on the Wi-Fi to do so, And I’m not willing to buy another set of Wi-Fi extenders when I already have the Google ones spread throughout the house.

thanks

Louiie
Novice

Is there an update on this yet?

yorh
Novice

I think this is a great idea!  It would be very similar to the Ring Neighbors App.  As a longer term goal, users should be able to connect any security camera (regardless of brand and model) to this app so that all neighbors can participate and deter crime.