Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Rotate image 90 degrees

I've got my Arlo focused on the walkway leading up to my house which is longer than it is wide. Arlo currently allowd me to rotate the image 180 degrees so I can mount it upside down, A 90 degree rotation would let me turn the camera on its side and have more vertical resolution where I need it.

Comments
miladm
Fledgling

I also have the same issue and would highly appreciate the 90 degrees rotation feature.

Without propert totation (which I do right now), I find the motion detection feature capture a lot of false positives. 

LaCAuser
Follower

This is exactly what I need. In areas where the area you wish to have coverage for is vertical rather than horizontal. This would be a much appreciated option. 

Arlo_user2
Aspirant

Don't hold your breath..  Netgear has no interest in adding this request.   For years now its been requested and it falls on def ears.   Rate the app a 1 and maybe they will start to listen.  

LaCAuser
Follower

😞 

Arlo84
Fledgling

I had to comment on this as there is a lot of angry responses.

With regards to the original Arlo cameras, I may be wrong but this is what I think:

From the user point of view, we would like to be able to view our videos side on as we ALREADY use our cameras side on.

At this point users forget/don't realise that the camera is not designed to be used side on. This is because though the motion sensor does a reasonable job on its side it is set up for the camera to work upright or upside down.

Now from Arlo, Netgear point of view - if they were to impliment 90 and 270 degrees into the app then people would be expecting their camera's to work in that rotation, which they are not designed to, which will lead to more actual complaints/refunds than rants here.

Now I would be happy with a compromise in advanced options in the app with disclaimer, 'I understand my camera is not designed to work this way and may result in lower than expected or no motion capture triggering'

With regards to giving the company/product 1 star because they won't update the app to do something the camera is not designed to do - I find this mildly amusing. However, I do agree that Arlo reps should have probably made some form of response by now.

LaCAuser
Follower

This is the kind of response/input I prefer. Based on technical knowledge and facts, presumably. I also am not interested in compromising the features of motion detection in any way. And perhaps the part that is lost on me, is that I don't want to turn the camera sideways. The shape of the camera when turned sideways would be awkward looking and perhaps even suggest to someone looking at it (who knows nothing about the cameras), that it is capturing a horizontal image rather than vertical. I'm imagining keeping the camera in the same position but being able to adjust/rotate the area that the camera 'sees' and the image it captures in my software. I would expect it to still detect motion in the same manner. And obviously if that can't be done from a technical standpoint, then it would be good if someone from Arlo or Netgear would explain it to the customer. 

Arlo_user2
Aspirant

With all do respect, you have no idea what you are talking about in reguards to the cameras ablitly to dectect motion when mounted sidways.  It works just fine sideways and the reqiest for some simple app codeing to alllow for a 90 degree rotation when viewing has not be too much to ask for.    If you liked to provide the comunity with technical documetion on why the Arlo 2 pro doesnt detect sideway,  I'm happy to write a correction.   But in my experiece in using my Arlo 2 sideways, (which is far perferable for my narrow sidwalk application)  it works pefectly fine.   The truth is Netgear is more interested in selling new cameras to try to compete with Nest and others that are far superior in image quality,  design and technology, then supporting there older tech.

Arlo84
Fledgling

Arlo_user2 I did not mention Arlo 2 or Arlo 2 Pro.

I spoke of Arlo (as in original)

Indeed different Arlo's employ different detection methods. The Q for example works based on image change rather than physical PIR sensor

Most PIR are designed to spot motion across a path - when one side reads a higher potential to the other then a signal is triggered - in a simplistic form there is a left half and a right half normally -which is also why you should not direct Arlo face on at the route of your intruder as they would not trigger the sensor.

With the original Arlo sideways motion detection also works. That does not mean it was designed to.

You are right I do not have the tachnical specifications - I based the response on common standards and business practices.

Arlo_user2
Aspirant

Bottom line is a lot of users have requested a simple 90 degree roation in the app and web page and nothing has been done about it.    

@pcom wrote:

I've got my Arlo focused on the walkway leading up to my house which is longer than it is wide. Arlo currently allowd me to rotate the image 180 degrees so I can mount it upside down, A 90 degree rotation would let me turn the camera on its side and have more vertical resolution where I need it.

Arlo84
Fledgling

I agree with you on that and in the past I have commented (I think after some of your pictures) that software wise it should be an easy fix and a lot of customers would have been happy. But I don’t think it'll happen because the original Arlo home cameras work differently from the newer ones - and are still on sale.

All the documentation I see only talk about using Arlo 0 or 180 degrees. There is no mention of using them 90 or 270 that I know of. Which means they didn't plan for it.

Be nice to have an official response though.