Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Record video when Arlo Doorbell button is pressed

I'd like to see an option to trigger recording video on my Arlo Pro when the doorbell button is pressed. The motion sensor on the doorbell is too sensitive and I get a lot of false triggers, so I can't use that to trigger video recording. 

Comments
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

amjo
Fledgling

Over a year since this post was suggested and feature still not hear. This is on EUfy and ring and seems like most standard feature for a video doorbell - ie activating when someone presses. How about it?

gonsalife
Follower

Great question. I just installed mine and was wondering why this isn’t the first standard mode. When is this  capability going to be available?

NZ_user
Follower

I don't know how to get this idea more traction but i am surprised it isn't a standard feature. The video doorbells need a feature that starts recording the moment the button is pressed. While it rings you if you miss the call you cant see when pressed the button unless the camera was armed and set of by motion. 

opusman
Fledgling

I would like to add my support for this idea. I was quite surprised to find this wasn't how it worked already. Motion detection is useless to me; recording video as soon as the button is pushed seems an obvious feature.

hexrays
Tutor

I just changed over from SkyBell to Arlo Video Doorbell for more seamless integration, I cannot believe there is no option to trigger a video recording on my Arlo cameras with a button push. C'mon Netgear, I thought you were better than this.

**After I wrote this I did some research and found out I could use IFTTT to trigger my cameras to record with a button push of the Arlo video doorbell.**

I've run out of my three free applets however so it's costing me $5.00/mo. to use this option. So Netgear, please let us know when this is available. Much appreciated.

Thank you!

Bondo2k
Fledgling

I like to use geofencing to cut down on the number of recordings and notifications I get when I'm home. so if I'm home and the doorbell goes off and I don't answer it on my phone or get to the door I don't know who was there. 

Would be amazing if it would have an option to automatically trigger recording when the doorbell is pressed even if the doorbell is disarmed.

thomascorrie
Novice

I would like this feature too. My front door is very close to the road so the motion sensing picks up hundreds of events per day and runs through the battery very quickly

justinjanson
Novice

I was surprised to find out that the Arlo video doorbell doesn't record a video when someone presses the doorbell button. This is standard functionality with a lot of other video doorbell vendors like Ring, Nest, etc.

Just using motion detection is useless to me (and presumably for a lot of other people) , since I live in a highly populated area with hundreds of movements in front of my door on daily basis. This will result in an equal number useless videos and a dead battery after a few days.

It would be highly beneficial to add this functionality to keep up with competition (and to prevent me ditching this doorbell and my Arlo subscription). 

StephenB
Guru

@justinjanson wrote:

I was surprised to find out that the Arlo video doorbell doesn't record a video when someone presses the doorbell button. This is standard functionality with a lot of other video doorbell vendors like Ring, Nest, etc.

I agree it should have this capability - it could easily be added to the rule for the doorbell as another trigger.