Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Possible to have a Dual Band Wifi Capability for this system

I was thinking if it's possible to have a Dual Band Wifi Capability for this system.. I know right now it's not.. But I'd like to see it in the future and hopefully I can still use my old Base-Station by just upgrading firmware and the 2 Add-ons listed below will be implemented and can be purchased.. This will definitely help me and others resolve interference issues and then some.. 

Add-ons such as:

1. Dual Band Wifi, Sound & Motion Alert, Higher Res & Better Zoom Capability Camera

2. Mini-USB Dual Band Wifi adapter for Base-Station

Comments
JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Am sure it can be done.. There's two usb ports on the Base Station..All it takes is Update the Base Stations Firmware and Plug in Arlo's version of mini-usb dual band adapter.. It's a good Add-on product for Arlo.. Just a thought.. 

jguerdat
Guru

For what purpose? The cameras would need new hardware, too.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

You're right.. didn't think of that.. isn't there a micro usb in the camera? 

Purpose would be to avoid interference.. I think am having it on my system

jguerdat
Guru

Yes, there's a micro USB port but I seriously doubt that it would support a WiFi dongle. Besides, that REALLY starts to defeat the small wireless feature.

ChristineT
Arlo Employee Retired

Good afternoon JPC,

The micro-USB port on the camera is really only intended for a hard reset of the camera and is not intended for adding any additional functionality. For reference check out the following solution posted here.

The USB on the base station however, is likely to be utilized for future product integrations as the Arlo Smart Home eco-system evolves to include more Internet enabled devices.

At this time dual-band wireless is not supported.

Be sure to post your idea on the Arlo Idea Exchange board.

Best Regards,

Christine

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Gotcha! It wouldn't work with this version.. Maybe in future update of the camera would be dual-band.. I would hope our Base Station still be usuable by then just by updating firmware and adding those mini-usb dual band adapter.. Else, it will be a complete new system.... 

Thanks jguerdat, Christine

JustLearning
Apprentice
The Micro usb would be wonderful for an optional charger...?
JamesC
Community Manager

JustLearning,

The micro-usb port on the Arlo Wire-Free cameras is only intended to be used to reset the camera. Any other application for this port may result in damaging the camera and is strongly discourage as it may void the warranty.

JamesC

JamesC
Community Manager
Status changed to: Archived - Not Enough Votes