Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Peephole camera

Netscape/Arlo could offer an optical peephole adapter for the camera.

Using arrays of fiber optic based light pipes?

The main lens would collect an image through a large bundle of fibers and the IR illuminators could use a separate group fibers surrounding the main lens.

The back of a door is stong enough to support 2 or 3 battery packs for 6-12 months of unattended operation.

On the front of the door the camera would look like any peephole lens.

Or just repackage the antenna into a purpose-built peephole adapter?

Sure would be nice to have a straight on view of someone's face as he/she approaches the door.

Several companes make peephole cameras already.

Could Arlo offer a connection for external cameras?

Do digital cameras follow a standard bus?

Comments
JamesC
Community Manager

The Arlo development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

MelFeldman
Aspirant

Here's a simple camera for a peep hole in my door. Can you connect one of my ARLO PRO CAMS to this?

It's a 5.8g 90deg 16 Channels HD Wireless Door Peephole Camera

The camera is a  5.8G/hz device. It's the same size 13.8mm as an original optical peephole in my main house door. It has
30.008lux extremely low illumination, which allows it to clearly see the visitor on the other side even under dim light;
It uses Brass material just like my current analog peep hole device;
It has low power consumption and can directly connect via BNC cable to a TV/monitor/DVR.

Could you pass this along as a serious suggestion request, since the ARLO PRO CAM should offer this kind of direct facial visual ability thru a main doorway and still allow the great data storage and motion detection of all my current ARLO PRO Cameras.

Good Luck,

Mel

A Serious ARLO PRO Supporter!

brh
Master
Master

I would love to have a couple of these made by Arlo and work with the app.

Brian

jmorrissey
Novice

It doesn't make sense that there isn't an available peephole camera. I see the need for front door surveillance to be an all time high with the increased popularity of amazon prime. Further, I see two sub-categories of front door surveillance needs:

1. Doorbell style (see Nest's  Hello WiFi video doorbell) where a user can see and talk to an approaching person through some sort of device. 

2. Peephole video style. Where a user can install a camera with a lens housing with a 5/8" diameter (like many optical door viewers), battery powered, and WiFi capabilities. 

There appear to be many products that solve the firs category's needs, but I haven't been able to find one that is satisfactory to solve the second category's needs. I am more interested in the second, and would purchase a camera in that orientation as soon as it was available.

That being said, the device wouldn't need more features than the Arlo cameras already possess. Additionally, it would solve many of the problem of not being able detect motion through windows and the bad quality of low-light capture through windows (at least for front door applications). 

I have seen some requests dating back 3 years for front door applications. Arlo, PLEASE advise if you are addressing this issue or I will be forced to discontinue use of your products. 

threedee
Novice

I would buy Arlo Camera system if it would include an optional peephole camera.

jaugust929
Novice

Arlo should develope a Peephole Door camera. I use a Brinno and I'm not happy with it. 

Just wanted to throw that out there. 

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @jaugust929,

Thanks for posting your idea!

Our development team routinely reviews posts in the Arlo Idea Exchange to assess which features the community would like to see implemented. We greatly appreciate your contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation.

AZEqualizer
Aspirant
RINGS coming out with a peephole camera and it seems pretty ideal .... you guys need to get on the bandwagon. https://shop.ring.com/pages/door-view-cam
E_S
Novice
Novice

I see that Arlo has rolled out a connected doorbell but it’s not what I was hoping for.  With all the porch pirates (package thefts) it would be great to have a camera that can capture a clear front view of anyone approaching the door.  Like most people, we have our front door camera mounted overhead and to the side which doesn’t capture a good front/facial view. I’d like an Arlo connected camera that fits into a standard peephole so that it’s discreet and can’t be stolen.

I looked into the Brinno Duo which is a peephole camera with a LCD screen mounted to the inside of the door. The camera records locally to a micro SD card and also sends the .JPG  to an email. Unfortunately the Amazon user reviews and PC Mag review  slant towards it not being a well made product. https://www.pcmag.com/review/365622/brinno-duo-smart-peephole-doorcam.

I love my Arlo security cameras; I think Arlo can do better than the “other guys” and produce a peephole mounted camera that can be added to an existing Arlo home system. Perhaps a peephole camera could be tied into the motion detector of an assigned nearby camera, thus providing a dual view, i.e. capture a front and side view of anyone approaching the door.

Thank you.

Aristos
Aspirant

I also suggest a peephole camera, or adapter to use an existing camera to the door.

If the camera is on the door can trigger by the arlo doorbell – even if the doorbell have many false trigger by cars.

or a new model can have some kind of viewing small monitor, working together with the station, the arlo doorbell camera, and record, and show live who is on the door, who is press the arlo doorbell. Also calling on the mobile as done now.

I definitely pay for something like that. Now I have a camera outside of the door for that reason, to see who is ringing the door when I am way, but I also have complains that I monitor my neighbor. With the arlo peephole I see only outside of my door and no complains about.

I certainly buy one if you make it.

thank you in advanced.