Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

NAS storage and timeline search

I have been using Arlo for the past 7 months. While the hardware is great the operation is very basic for the price. The below are concerns that should be addressed.

1. NAS storage

While cloud storage is good for most people at this price point I would like the option to record locally to my nas and not be restricted by the need for an internet connection all the time.

2. Timeline search

To be frank your method of searching is terrible. It's the worst I have seen as an IT pro. Instead of image blocks, why can't you use a time line showing a grey bar with green bars showing motion recording. This makes it easier for the user to search and scroll through recordings.

3. I use Exacq for my business and the motion detection works excellent. The Arlo's on the other hand misses a lot of data which at times could be vital to an investigation.

4. Customizable views. Arlo allows for only one view to be reviewed at a time. There should be an option to view any cameras at once. Example let's say I have 8 cameras with 4 being outside and I want to view/review the 2 in the front and 2 at the back during a party I would have to constantly switch, unlink Exacq where I would just need to select the 4 camera I want to view

Thanks,
SC
Comments
Ruprect_75
Onlooker

I'm not putting it up as a solution to YOUR problem. Your problem was internet. It is however a solution to MY problem... not being able to implement my NAS storage. I put it up as a potential solution to other readers of this thread so please stop making this all about you. I have a very explanatory letter from their support department. Yes it has the ability to interact with several cloud sources if the user wishes. But you go on telling yourself you're right buddy... It seems like you are the type of person that does that often.

Biff_Ren_Dang
Onlooker

It's not actually, the idea behind having the unit locally storing your footage is the main idea here... My conclusion of not looking to continue with the Arlo product and the serveice/troubleshooting I received has nothing to do with the non-local storage of the footage.

But by all means, try write off what I said as simply my crappy internet... Fact is what you suggested, doesn't do what you think it does.

The unit you suggested, accesses your cloud, and downloads the footage off the arlo site. Even though you aren't using the app, it's still using the service.

Just the same as the linux script which downloads your footage off the arlo site.

I've done my own research, however it really doesn't seem like you've done yours.

bocadakota
Onlooker

I have had the Arlo Pro 2 system for a little over a year.  It was with much hope that someone or Arlo would provide the ability to connect to a NAS for video storage or surveillance recording.  Obviously Arlo will not consider the customer needs or wishes to have this capability, knowing this only requires access to the hub and configuration then connect via ethernet or wifi.  My issues is limited or slow wifi internet connection.  Yesterday I connect via my cell phone to connect to the internet, having to really need the system up and running.  In a 5 hour time the Arlo system used 20GB of my cell data to be able to use the system.  This is $20-$40 cost to have security for 5 hours, not cost effective, plus used up almost all of my data plan before they throttle down my data speed.  I've decided to give up on the system for now and review other brands or cameras.  No, recording to a usb drive then removing the drive or waiting for an upload to see the videos is just plan dumb.  I do not recommend this system unless you always have solid and good connection to the internet, in my case this is not so.  

TomMac
Guru

FYI, it has been mentioned that Arlo is working on viewing the USB recording from inside the prgm....

Unknown time frame but do believe it will come

bocadakota
Onlooker

Thanks.  My son is a programmer and has offered to look at the system at some time.  He believes it's possible to create a program to use the usb connect as a virtual drive to the NAS.  Not sure when he will be able to look at it but he was positive it could be done.

@TomMac wrote:

FYI, it has been mentioned that Arlo is working on viewing the USB recording from inside the prgm....

Unknown time frame but do believe it will come

The time frame previously mentioned was that local access will happen before early adopters of the Ultra system come to the end of their "free" year of cloud storage. That would mean by the end of this year.

The official launch of the Ultra was in April, but BestBuy jumped the gun and some escaped a few months early.

Quite how this local access will work is unknown – has it even entered beta tests? – but there may be a way scraping stuff off on to an "NAS", whatever the user means by that. (It is a label stuck on Ethernet storage and on USB storage on routers.)

bocadakota
Onlooker

The two most popular NAS are Qnap and Synology.  Both systems run on a Unix based OS and both have great apps for video surviellance or monitoring.  Personally I have a Qnap with 12TB of storage.  Many cameras are compatible with the systems.  I liked the Arlo in that the cameras are wifi and I can move them were needed.  While the need for internet to really use the system has been my biggest issues since my intenet is unreliable.  Remote areas and small towns do not have the equipment or access that many of the big cities or urban areas have for reliable internet.  I don't understand why having personal access to the Arlo router is not allowed.  Security is not the answer as many people now understand security issues and adopted many of the requirements.  Access to the Netgear/Arlo router and connection to a NAS would greatly enhance the system.  This is not difficult and the software or OS can easily be configured for this.

Biff_Ren_Dang
Onlooker

I highly doubt they will have NAS support in due to it being more in thier interest to keep users paying monthly subs.

Better off looking at real security camera options than this sort of 'easy-setup' stuff... Hell, they can't even make range extenders so your arlo has to be within one hop range of your base station...

Mitcon
Aspirant

Add my name to the NAS Storage list...

I am currently using 2 256 Mb thumb drives, with success. Boy,it would sure be nice to NOT have to disable and eject a thumb drive and mount it in my Linux box to transfer to NAS and/or view videos.

Videos could be viewed/managed on Window$, Linux or Android pad.

Thanks for your. Consideration

slashroot
Aspirant

For us technical computer people, not having the option of storing recordings to FTP is a deal-breaker.

I do understand that the subscriptions will bring more revenue to your company but you should consider all the technical people not buying your products because you have no good option for storing recordings, microSD is not really a great option.

There are even people I know at work(techies) who is considering Arlo but the biggest downside is being forced to a subscription with no other viable options.

Your camera solutions are perfect for computer dummies who wants to do as little technical configuration as possible.