Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Move To HTML5

Highly recommend moving from flash to HTML5. Many work provided mobile devices restrict app installing and since Android and Apple don't have flash support so you cannot stream the cameras through browsers. Flash has become very restricted in its support. Moving to HTML5 would solve a lot of issues and provide better future compatibility.

Greg

Comments
Bjorr
Tutor

Yes when I saw this I actually laughed out loud 🙂 this is so bad you can just laugh at it.. Arlo is the worst tech gadget I have ever bought and I will never in my life buy anything from this company again

Strexxy
Fledgling

Just checked back to see if any progress has been made with the Flash to HTML5 and still no progress. I'm the goto guy for all things technical in business and amongst friends - and I am talking everyone out of using Netgear Arlo.  A very bad decision was purchasing this solution!

Cantab
Star
Hurry up already. It's 2020!
ant
Mentor
Mentor

I bet Arlo won't do anything until end of 2020 when Adobe finally kills its Flash.

NicoEvaluates
Fledgling
I have made a video on this, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCq0DLIxFfk Share it if you can. This is absolutely ridiculous. They still use Adobe Flash on Desktop in 2020. Inexcusable.

Nico,

In August 2019 the CEO tweeted "have a couple of major releases ahead of the transition...". 

Two days ago in a request for an update the response is: "We have no update at this time".

Regardless of the trite opinions of "SuperUsers" like @TomMac; this issue affects far more customers, their satisfaction and future sales than they realize or care.

StephenB
Guru
@fishferbrains  wrote:

Regardless of the trite opinions of "SuperUsers" like @TomMac; this issue affects far more customers, their satisfaction and future sales than they realize or care.

It affects us just as much as it affects you, and I think all superusers have said they've rather see the transistion away from Flash happen sooner rather than later.  Certainly I have.

As far as impact goes, I think many customers just use the app - so the use of Flash doesn't matter to them. 

Personally I use the web client whenever I am on my PC, and I do want all the features in the app to be available on the web client.  I find enabling Flash over and over annoying, but truthfully I find the automatic log-off (and the need to log in again after every page refresh) to be more annoying.

@Stephanb - Thanks for your reply, and I didn't mean to paint all SuperUsers with a broad brush; but early adopters who've grown-up with an evolving product and platform are far more tolerant of faults and dealing with workarounds. 

There's a significant class of users who don't own or can't use the mobile applications for a variety of reasons.  Buying Arlo "because I read it wins awards as the best thing out there" can be a great disappointment particularly in older demographics.  I've had a camera thrown at me "for being a waste of my hard-earned money" by a relative frustrated by the web client.  

For a company with a slogan stating "Arlo delivers products and services dedicated to protecting and connecting with the people and places we love"; Arlo fails many of us.  

For a company promoting it's  "security", the continued use of Flash with it's well-known security vulnerabilities I find ironic if not completely disingenuous.

My biggest frustration is the complete lack of transparency from @mbmcrae and the Arlo team on progress and roadmap. @mbmcrae just tweeted about Apple HomeKit 3 support; something that appeals to a much smaller class of Arlo users.  It's another shiny object that they've distracted themselves with; and in the meantime this thread is five years old, and it' been over six months since @mbmcrae tweeted his "be patient" message with no further follow-up to a number of inquiries.

@Stephanb ....early adopters who've grown-up with an evolving product and platform are far more tolerant of faults and dealing with workarounds.

Not really. Early adopters can be the harshest of critics. They just bring a bit more experience to discussions like this than latecomers who bang on about something that is well known and understood, adding very little beyond hot air to the discussion.

The "death of flash" issue is actually puzzling. People pop up here saying "it is dead easy". That it hasn't happened already suggests to me at least that it is a far from simple move. More than simply flicking a switch or writing a few lines of code.

Not something that you do before extensive testing. I can hear the screams now if the sky falls in thanks to a botched update.

@michaelkenward 

Without making this a DYKWIA post, let me simply say this is not a question of difficulty; simply time and priority.

The entire YouTube platform converted from Flash to HTML5 in 2015.  Did you know or even hear about it? The benefits, risks and quantifiable effort required is well known.