Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Move To HTML5

Highly recommend moving from flash to HTML5. Many work provided mobile devices restrict app installing and since Android and Apple don't have flash support so you cannot stream the cameras through browsers. Flash has become very restricted in its support. Moving to HTML5 would solve a lot of issues and provide better future compatibility.

Greg

Comments
StephenB
Guru

@mdp454 wrote:

There is no work around?

There is, though the details depend on what browser you use.  IMO it's simplest with Chrome.  

JJAdV
Apprentice

They seem to struggle with the simplest of issues and the fundamentals of having a product and providing a service.. HTML5 will be way down the list. If they get there before they disappear. I can't see how they will be around long term at this rate.

Ring need to buy them and replace their infrastructure with something that works.

Curtterp
Guide
You don't Ring (Amazon) to buy them out. They have very porous security. and they are hacked almost daily.
JJAdV
Apprentice

Ring had one main issue a few years ago where you needed physical access to the unit get wifi passwords, was fixed years ago. The other "hacks" are just people using weak passwords.. Lazy journalism keeps regurgitating this.

Arlo protects from this by ensuring their system is offline as much as possible.. 🙂

Pwarc
Fledgling

I had the worst experience with Netgear help desk.

A bunch of "experts" had no clue what I was talking about. But they all have quite big attitude.

After long wait time, they gave me some very "useful" advice. For example, what operating system you were using, what browser you were using, power off then power on the device, etc.

Many hours later, I returned to the starting point. Everything remains the same, not working as advertised.

Netgear's customer help center is Top 1 on my list in a reversed order.

Pwarc
Fledgling

Hi expert,

The point is adobe flash is insecure. Give customers a secure web video player.

StephenB
Guru

@Pwarc wrote:

The point is adobe flash is insecure. Give customers a secure web video player.

Hey I don't work for them, so I don't have any control over the timing. 

What I do know is 

• Arlo is planning to shift to html5 before the browsers drop flash support on 31 Dec 2020.
  • There are workarounds needed in browsers today to allow flash, and the details depend on the browser.  In all cases they are annoying.
  • Adobe Flash has had lots of security issues, which is certainly one factor in it being deprecated. So there is good reason why Flash isn't enabled routinely for all web sites.  
  • IMO security is better with Chrome or Edge (both have a built-in flash player, and don't use the plugin).  Looking at Flash CVEs seems to confirm that view - so far there were 8 CVEs reported in 2019, but only one of those effected Chrome/Edge (back last May).
kip23
Aspirant

Chrome is already phasing out Flash support, which makes accessing arlo.com a PITA. Come on Arlo/Netgear. It's almost 2020. HTML5!

jgkolt
Onlooker

The continued use of flash is pushing me away from buying more products. For example I picked up the nest doorbell instead it the Arlo.

JJAdV
Apprentice

Its a bazaar situation, its not as of web programmers are hard to come buy, or its a hard thing to do. 

They must pay for the positive reviews they get, there is no way an honest reviewer could recommend Arlo products, they barely work in any capacity since I bought a system.