Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Move To HTML5

Highly recommend moving from flash to HTML5. Many work provided mobile devices restrict app installing and since Android and Apple don't have flash support so you cannot stream the cameras through browsers. Flash has become very restricted in its support. Moving to HTML5 would solve a lot of issues and provide better future compatibility.

Greg

Comments
chibooey
Follower

Help desks are only capable of following scripts anymore, and they start at the kindergarten level.   Sad, my preschool grandchildren know more than they do...   

I got it working on my Macbook, and need to verify it works on the Win 10 partition (but I believe it did with Chrome.  It doesn't work easily, requiring me to grant Flash permissions each time.  Using the Dissenter (Chrome) browser.   If it become usable only on my cell phone I will be replacing the entire system.  I will be replacing all 5 cameras anyway when the batteries start to go.

StephenB
Guru

@Dave2007 wrote:

Mozilla Firefox 7.0.0.1

Ok.  I have FireFox 70.0.1 (64 bit) installed, along with Adobe Flash 32.0.0.293.

Steps that work for me are

• click on "Live" for one of my cameras
  • Wait for the "A Newer Version of Adobe Flash ..." message to appear over the camera view

At this point I see a new icon appear between the padlock in the address bar and the URL.  This looks like a lego brick, and if you mouse over it you will see "manage plug-in use" displayed.  Click on that icon, and a pop-up will appear.  Click on "Allow" to enable flash for the site.

After doing this, I then

• Click on the "x" on the "newer version of Adobe Flash" message to dismiss it.
  • Click on "Live" again.

Live then works with no update flash message (and other flash functions also work), until I log out.

FWIW, this is simpler if you use Chrome or Edge instead of FireFox.  We can give you the process for either of those browsers if you are interested.

Dave2007
Fledgling

I followed the instructions for the flash icon and it worked although it's a little inconsistent.  Sometimes I need to log off and back on so it works

StephenB
Guru

@Dave2007 wrote:

I followed the instructions for the flash icon and it worked although it's a little inconsistent.  Sometimes I need to log off and back on so it works

Good.

Chrome is simpler, and you only need to re-allow it when you open the browser.  I just keep the browser open (unless I reboot).

royandre
Fledgling

Yes, there are several threads here ultimately explaining how to be able to enable Flash, to get my.arlo.com working.

Well, Chrome - the world's most use browser, will soon totally remove Flash support, and of the hundreds of websites I use on a regular basis, only Arlo requires Flash support.

So, Team Arlo, when will my.arlo.com be 100% Flash-independent?

StephenB
Guru

@4vrnvr wrote:

Well, Chrome - the world's most use browser, will soon totally remove Flash support,

So, Team Arlo, when will my.arlo.com be 100% Flash-independent?

"Soon" is still a year away.  Arlo has said that they will shift before it is removed from the browsers.  They haven't been more specific than that.

Kaysahn
Novice

Hi all

Arlo keeps asking me to update my flash player when I log on via my Mac computer. Does anyone else have this issue?

What is going to happen when the flash apocalypse happens at the end of the year and flash no longer works.

Also our base station power supply died (fortunately we had a spare). Does anyone know where we can purchase a new one in NZ ?(the retailer we purchased the unit from doesn't supply them)

TomMac
Guru

Flash has been auto disabled in most new versions of browsers....

Unless you allow it to run, your going to have an issue. In Fire Fox, just click on the 'lego icon" that appears on the left of address bar and flash runs ( other browser require diff responses )

Flash will be eliminated before the deadline which comes next year , I wouldnt worry.

As to a Power Supply

Your running a Pro2 base I assume, the bases take 12vdc with coaxial plug center positive... there are many power adapters that will output same... try a web search, specs are on the ps body

mdp454
Initiate

Arlo when are you going to address the Adobe Flash issue?

It is almost impossible to use these cameras on most web browsers yet there is no support!

There is no work around?

There is no promise of a future fix

There is no standalone viewing app

These cameras are of little value to me yet they were an expensive investment, I now regret my purchase.

TomMac
Guru

Arlo has already said that they would move off of Flash when necessary.... there are many threads on this.

Check with a search.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Idea-Exchange/Move-To-HTML5/idc-p/1707790

CEO of Arlo comment

https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/status/1161305719821312005

Matthew McRae

Replying to and
On our roadmap... have a couple of major releases ahead of the transition but the team is aware of the customer need to move to HTML 5 and improve our browser experience. Thanks for being patient.
11:57 AM · Aug 13, 2019Twitter Web App