Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Move To HTML5

Highly recommend moving from flash to HTML5. Many work provided mobile devices restrict app installing and since Android and Apple don't have flash support so you cannot stream the cameras through browsers. Flash has become very restricted in its support. Moving to HTML5 would solve a lot of issues and provide better future compatibility.

Greg

Comments
Rakng
Aspirant

When is Arlo going to move to HTML5? I frequently use browser to view the camera and it's annoying that you have to allow Flash. And Flash is dying anyway, does Arlo have timeline on this?

StephenB
Guru
@Rakng  wrote:

does Arlo have timeline on this?

They must, but they haven't made it public.

MikeLa
Aspirant

Just a quick note to developers...  In just slightly more than a year, Flash will be going away so developers need to migrate Arlo's entire web interface to HTML5 or some other mechanism other than flash...

StephenB
Guru
@MikeLa  wrote:

Just a quick note to developers...  In just slightly more than a year, Flash will be going away so developers need to migrate Arlo's entire web interface to HTML5 or some other mechanism other than flash...

They are well aware of that.

REB1149
Apprentice

Just got off the phone with netgear , they do not support ARLO no longer . I hope someone can find out who does . Chrome is giving me warning of security risk. I sadly feel we are losing our security systems , and i think many have came to the same conclusion . WE WANT ANSWERS ARLO

StephenB
Guru

>>> 

Just got off the phone with netgear , they do not support ARLO no longer.

>>>

Netgear divested Arlo back in Dec 2018.  You can contact Arlo support https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

However, AFAIK there is no new security issue with Flash, and you can still use the web interface with Chrome.  Google and other browser folks are just making it a little harder every now and then.  Using the web interface is safe (just not convenient).

Hopefully Arlo will switch to html5 sooner rather than later.  

MikeLa
Aspirant

StephenB,

Respectfully sir, much of my job is cybersecurity.  Flash *ALWAYS* has new security issues.  Why do you think it's updated so often.

My point in my original post is that once Flash reaches end-of-life, which is in sightly more than a year, patches and security updates cease, meaning the risk of using the protocol increases exponentially as time goes by.

I was just pointing out that Arlo's current flash interface could become a significant risk if it's not migrated to HTML5 or another mechanism by the end of 2020.

Mike

StephenB
Guru

>>>

[MikeLaI was just pointing out that Arlo's current flash interface could become a significant risk if it's not migrated to HTML5 or another mechanism by the end of 2020.

>>>

@MikeLa, my reply to you was just saying that Arlo was well aware that they need to migrate to HTML5 before it was deprecated.  They've publicly announced that they are going to do that.

I do track cybersecurity, and I do understand that Flash has had more than it's share of issues.  Though there are some new CVEs for the Adobe Player (which btw are fixed if you have the most recent plug-in), there aren't any recent ones reported for the player built into Chrome or Edge.  The most recent CVEs for them were reported last May.

Certainly Arlo needs to move on to html5, and we all be happier when they do that.  But I don't think @REB1149 is facing any immediate security threat with the current version of Chrome.  My general advice (for now) is to use a browser with a built in flash player (e.g., Chrome or Edge), as there are a lot fewer CVEs reported for them.  

annlou
Star

This thread was started in 2015. It seems no one at Arlo is listening.

StephenB
Guru

>>>

[annlou]This thread was started in 2015. It seems no one at Arlo is listening.

>>>

@annlou:  They aren't responding, perhaps because they don't want to commit to a public timetable yet.  But they certainly have heard the feedback - both from this forum and directly from the superusers.  They did confirm that they are shifting to HTML5 here: https://twitter.com/mbmcrae/status/1161305719821312005 But they haven't said when.