Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.
0 Likes

Motor/vehicle tracking and counting app

Idea: Develop from Open Source software an app suited to Arlo outdoor cameras to monitor number and type of vehicles tracked along a piece of road.

My own Base Station is the VMB 4000. Arlo 2/Pro mix of cameras.

Mostly motivated by living by a road that has been officially categorised as exceeding pollution safety thresholds. There is growing popular concern building about the damage inflicted on health from the most fine particles. An accessible and integrated app with Arlo may present a new feature to attrack new customers. There will be a point when this is more than "niche".

There are some commercial products in the market, but targetted at local authorities in price and sophistication. There is also some Open Source ground-work that appears not to have progressed since 2010/11 - see Source Forge [https://sourceforge.net/projects/cautove/] for background. Perhaps, if Arlo developers took it up, the groundwork has been done? Beyond me though.

It may be an interesting project that can be targetted towards road-traffic, perimeter monitoring. Ideally supported by a "snapshot" feature - although that would create demand for storage (local and/or cloud). Of course, if Arlo/Netgear wanted to, they could make it a "Cloud app" that relies on subscription to larger capacity cloud storage - paid for?

The trick on pricing would be to pitch it below any "price-point" for commercial alternatives.  I have tried trial-versions of commercial software and it is possible to get a reasonable level of accuracy in discriminating between large and small vehicles and pedestrians with cameras placed at first floor to look down at moving targets in both directions (several directions if your camera is focused on a junction/cross-roads.

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!