Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on only part of the view without sacrificing any of the screen

To explain this I am going to use a living room as an example.

The way it currently is set:

Put the camera in the corner of the room and catch the entire room - Fantastic!

Anyone walks into the view, it records - Fantastic!

Now say there is a glass on a table in the middle of the room. 

I can "crop" or "zoom in" on the table and the camera will shoot only that, so if someone touches the glass it records, but it only shows the table.

What I want: Show the entire room - BUT - only put the motion detection on the table, so the entire room is in the camera view but the recording only happens if someone is in the table view. This way I can see where the person went, who the person was, etc instead of potentially just the hand grabbing the glass.

Comments
ddiep28
Follower

I think this feature should be implemented as a priority as this is quite a reasonable request and most of your competitors have done this as part of the basic functionality. I agree with previous comment.

chung30
Tutor

Got an email from Arlo about this "Arlo Smart" , looks like it can detect people and animals, with Artifical Intelligence, very slick! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSWZXsGU_6E

But, look like you have to pay a subscription to use it.

Arlo also have the a solar panel for recharging now. Super excited for my outdoor Arlo Pros.

So, much for "you can't do this and that", "too much to ask for" "this is so un-reasonable feature to ask", " a have 20+ year exprience in such and such" blah blah...

chung30
Tutor

To riposter

For outdoor use I think Arlo Pro still is the way to go, now with Solar Panel, I don't have to remove the camera to recharge. StickCam is for indoor use kinda like a Arlo Q, I use my Arlo Pro way more than Arlo Q. With Arlo Pro I know when my package delivered, who was at my door.

MarkC
Luminary

@chung30

Dude where do you get off! There really is no need to be so childish with your posts especially dragging this up and getting personal again after so much time!

You still however do not understand the concept. Arlo Smart is something that will take place on Netgears Servers, your camera will still trigger a motion event and start to stream footage to the server, nothing will change here. The footage will then be analyzed with algorithms which will in turn determine if to alert you or not.

Again, this is different to detection 'zones' where you can specify a section of the frame to monitor for motion, for which the processing happens locally or with a live feed to the server which as I have said many times is not possible unless the camera has a permanent power feed as it has to constantly stream the feed for analysis..

The concept of Zones is that it does not trigger an event until it detects motion in a particular area whereas with the battery powered Arlo cameras the recording event is always triggered irrespective of what happens on the servers after. Motion Zones )as you requested) and Arlo Smart are completely different concepts and functions.

Finally, I still do not understand your animosity as all I tried to do previously was to explain why it was not possible to have true Motion Zones on battery powered cameras, simply trying to be helpful and doing so politely despite the aggressive replies I have received from you!

Do me a favour, please just read the above and if you do not agree or understand what I am saying then fine, but do not reply with some rude or personal attack! It simply shows you up as not being a very nice person!

chung30
Tutor

You are right in saying this is childish, frankly waste of forum space.

Again, I am only making a suggestion to Arlo, not dictacting how they will implement zone detection. Be it software/firmware update or using their server to run AI Alogrithm what not. I don't know and don't clam that I know anything or everything.

In the end, you are still arguring that this cannot be done, and yet they are doing somthing just like it.

I just never learn much from those guys starts with " I have 10+ 20+ experience...", those are that good don't need to say it.

riposter
Tutor

@chung30 wrote:

For outdoor use I think Arlo Pro still is the way to go, now with Solar Panel, I don't have to remove the camera to recharge. StickCam is for indoor use kinda like a Arlo Q, I use my Arlo Pro way more than Arlo Q. With Arlo Pro I know when my package delivered, who was at my door.

Really it will come down to how much Arlo Smart costs. The fact that it costs anything makes Dropcam that much more attractive, since the free 7-day cloud recordings is really what swayed me to Arlo. The wireless is nice, but not the key feature for me.

brianzx7
Star

chung30
Tutor

Yeah, I would like to know from Arlo if possible or not to have this feature on current Arlo Pro, but Arlo Engineer(s) are tight lip here. There is an unoffical explaination from a poster on this thread if you care to read it. But basically, it comes to that "we are unreasonable" and "doesn't understand technology" to ask such feature.

brianzx7
Star

I read another post that stated the reason is the camera is different(PIR) and that it isn't possible because of hardware. I am guessing that they went with a different camera because it is better with battery consumption. 

What they really need to create is basically a outdoor version of the Arlo Q. Done, issue solved!

MarkC
Luminary

@chung30

You are still at it insulting me! Why? Can you not just simply post an answer or response without being personal!

If you read back the only reason I mentioned my experience is because you were saying that I did not know what I was talking about, I am not going to let someone insult my intelligence by telling me I do not know what I am talking about when I do. You even argued with me about the Ring doorbell when I have been using both for a long time, a simple google would have given you the answer but instead you just replied that that I did not know what I was talking about! I have mentioned many times that I have simply tried to explain the limitations of a battery system. Please show us a single battery powered system that has true zone capability?

Let's try again: To have proper Zones the system or server has to monitor the video stream constantly and when it detects motion in a certain part of the screen (defined zone) then it will trigger the recording and or alert. As Arlo are battery operated this cannot be done as the camera would have to be constantly sending the video stream to the server and your battery would die in a few hours. Of course there is nothing stopping Netgear from adding a feature like this if you run the cameras off a power source but then that would put a lot of strain on their system which would then be passed down to us as subscription charges. This in turn could possible put people off purchasing the cameras and effect their sales etc... Also cameras that use true zones do not use IR motion detection/PIR (as the Arlo Cameras do), they analyse the footage in real time, again, not possible with a battery system. They could also implement sudo zones which could work the same way that Arlo Smart does, they may very well have that planned for the future but again, it is not true Zones, as the camera will still be triggered by the motion sensor and then the server will analyse the footage to see if there is any difference in movement in a certain area of the screen between frames etc. But this will not be in real time, you will have to wait for the footage to hit the server and then be analysed.

What they are doing with Arlo Smart is when the camera is triggered by motion via the motion sensor, just as it does normally, their servers will analyse the footage and determine what is in the picture and then alert you or not depending on your settings. This is nothing like Zones, it is more like facial recognition. Also, this feature will obviously not work if your internet connection goes down.

I must admit I am absolutely stunned as to why you seem to constantly try to insult me with your replies, you even insulted me in a reply to someone else yet again today. I mentioned a while back that if you think I am wrong then just google and you will find the same information. No doubt you will come back with yet another insult saying that I do not know what I am talking about but perhaps do a little research before you do.

As said previously that I would not reply and only did so earlier today as you posted yet another insult aimed towards me but this will be my final post on the subject. It is a real shame as forum members like yourself who find it ok to insult people is what stops others wanting to contribute in fear of being attacked for their comments.

Perhaps in future you may read what others have posted, do a little research or not but please try not to comment back insulting others by telling them they do not know what they are talking about when they actually do. It is just not nice, never hurts to bite your lip and not type something rather than insulting others knowledge especially when they are simply trying to help you understand how things work.