Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection on only part of the view without sacrificing any of the screen

To explain this I am going to use a living room as an example.

The way it currently is set:

Put the camera in the corner of the room and catch the entire room - Fantastic!

Anyone walks into the view, it records - Fantastic!

Now say there is a glass on a table in the middle of the room. 

I can "crop" or "zoom in" on the table and the camera will shoot only that, so if someone touches the glass it records, but it only shows the table.

What I want: Show the entire room - BUT - only put the motion detection on the table, so the entire room is in the camera view but the recording only happens if someone is in the table view. This way I can see where the person went, who the person was, etc instead of potentially just the hand grabbing the glass.

Comments
TomMac
Guru

I don't believe this will happen as the PRO uses a PIR device to detect motion and covers the entire field of view...it's hardware issue , not software ( so not an easy fix ).

What may work for you is the Q camera ( tho it is indoor only ). It uses pixel base motion detection and works thru glass... I use mine thru double pane Andersen windows and it works great out to 50+ ft and also has the zones you want.

LewisC
Aspirant

Very frustrating to constantly see software-limited ideas marked as 'Implemented in latest product'.

All of the cameras should have this feature.

bigdig2001
Apprentice

I love my Arlo Pro, but what I'm missing is ability to define custom zones for monitoring. You can't just cover to blank out zones by removing the sensitivity and change the angle of the CAM.

getcashmoney
Initiate

What a ridiculous response from Netgear. This must mean that the hardware will not allow it, and they aren't willing to make the software smarter to allow it. I'm still happy with my Arlo Pro but it is certainly looking dumber compared to the competition without this feature.

gbugler
Initiate

When creating motion detection zones allow more than 4 sided polygons, right now you can only create rectangles for motion detection zones. It would be nice to be able to create 6 or 8 sided polygons for the motion detection zones. 

See Nest Cameras, they allow more than 4 sided polygons for the motion detection zones.

Grid blocking is an absolute necessity for me on one of my cameras for best use of the camera without triggering events constantly due to normal road activity. Grid blocking area so activity in that area near a road would enhance the ability I have to use the Arlo Pro. Also date printing on recordings would be very useful if you were in the need of taking a video to the police or court and only see numeric coding on the picture when it's downloaded now and changing this to date and time coding would be excellent.

Shrick
Apprentice

This request's status says it has been implemented, and, indeed it has, but there are a big issues with it. Its not flexible!

You only give us a square area, its not good enough. We need some kind of a grid pattern, or some kind of polygon area that can be specified by multiple polygon dots. The bottom line is we need a dymanic area we can specify.

I fully agree with this request that the whole image should still record, but, the motion should only be detected in the specified. area.

End Chat
Daisy P

Hi . Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

3:06:49 PM
Me

Hi case 28693349

3:06:58 PM

I have a forum topic that is not being addressed

3:07:13 PM

Last month, someone, Dawn I believe, updated my request saying that the feature has been implemented. However, I do not see it in my system. What I'm looking for is to set up fencing so that my cameras aren't recording every single car that drives by my home.

3:08:18 PM

I know this feature is in arlo q, but is it in pro? is there an update for pro that I have not seen that will provide this feature?

3:09:00 PM
Daisy P

Are you referring to the zones?

3:09:19 PM

zones, fencing, sure

3:09:47 PM

go to the last page, you'll see the reply

3:10:06 PM

DawnM was the person who posted this response
by DawnM Administrator
on ‎2017-06-04 11:15 PM
Options
Status changed to: Implemented in latest product

3:10:59 PM
Daisy P

I see. This is still being worked by our engineering department . As of the moment , you can only zoom in to the Arlo Pro camera but not set a a zone.

3:14:59 PM
Me

This forum topic is on Arlo Pro. DawnM marked this as implemented. I know it's in ArloQ. It's all the rage. But I have Arlo pro, it's not in the feature set of what I have currently, so I just need to know how to set it up, seeing how DawnM says the pro has zones capability

3:15:03 PM

zooming does not help, I need a wide area but specific areas omitted from detection.

3:15:52 PM
Daisy P

Only pan and zoom works for the Pro and not zone of proximity.

3:18:14 PM
Me

Can you explain why this forum discussion was marked implemented, then?

3:18:38 PM

After that, DaiseyP went silent.  😞

Shrick
Apprentice

The Arlo Q got this feature more than a year ago! I really hope this comes to the Pro soon... its a big issue.

brianzx7
Star

ARLO....are you out there?? Please respond to all of us needing this feature. Please tell us what are the limiting factors on why this isn't included even if it requires an external power source to do so. This seems like a major oversight.

We are awaiting your response.

Thanks!