Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection improvements

The motion detection needs help in a big way. Mine will pick up a fly but miss a person sometimes.
Also, the ability to mask an area to ignore bushes or trees would be awesome, improve battery life, and decrease Netgear's storage costs. 🙂
Comments
gateway785
Tutor

Would love the masking!!!!  Also maybe help with the sunlight hitting as well. 

Fricke
Aspirant

I agree. When testing I move slowly and can move around more without triggering detection??? Block out vegation motion.

BPK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Liking the masking idea, i Want my camera to be able to see the front gate, but it just clips the street. I would get a lot less video if I could not record cars passing by.

emorrisette
Initiate

Same issue.  Bug sets off recording.  Person walking from 50 feet away towards camera at an agle and no recording.  Yes masking to get the branch movment out and cars on streets passing that are way out of sight but recorded.

gateway785
Tutor

Still don't understand why Netgear doesn't get this improved!?! No improvement made in over a year and still lots of threads about it!  Come on Netgear!  This has stopped me from investing further in your company!

JamesC
Community Manager

It can sometimes take some trial and error to find optimal conditions for your Arlo system.

Take a look at the tips in this article to be sure your cameras are positioned for best performance: How do I position my Arlo Wire-Free or Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera?

JamesC

Rbell219
Initiate

Yeah, did all that.  It may just be my locations on the motion detection.  The front yard does great, but the back door doesn't detect motion unitl you're 5 feet from the camera. 

Still...masking would be nice.

emorrisette
Initiate

JamesC Thanks for the link.  With the detection zone being a small fraction of the sides of the camera view is what I did not know.  That in will help a little bit to reposition the camera.  Right now the item I am protecting is directly in the middle of the cameras view.  So after the thief leaves the scene I get half a picture of his side at the beginning of the video and then 18 seconds of my loss.  Is there a camera that detects straight-on so I can get a good picture of a persons face?  That would be the best for a security camera.

Dbtothadb
Guide

The Nest Cam has zones, so you block out areas that don't need detection. I found it to be quite helpful because we have bushes that set off the motion detection from that angle. We were able to carve out the bushes and it works great. Arlo/Netgear, please add this feature.

Dreamcoat62
Aspirant

Please notify me asap when you have one with a high powered laser attached for nuisance neighbours lol