Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Use certain motion patterns based on direction motion is coming from

I think it would be easy to use certain motion patterns based on the direction the motion is coming from. For instance, have a Rule that motion that moves from left to right is ignored but every other directional combo is recorded. This would allow for people to leave my house and nothing records but if someone is coming into my house they will be recorded bc the motion is from right to left and only motion from left to right is ignored. Another example would be by depth. So anything moving away from the camera is ignored, but anything getting closer would be recorded. This would obviously work well for the video doorbell or doorways.

Comments
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator

HI @Doyel24

We greatly appreciate the community’s contribution and will keep the status of this idea updated as we get new information on its potential implementation. Thank you for posting your idea!

Koregatabs
Apprentice

I think it's a very good idea too. However there are also simpler movement pattern which are relatively easy to realize. For example, someone who wants to sabotage or disassemble the camera would move his hands towards the camera. So a hand that moves a few seconds in front of the camera could immediately trigger an alarm. This would be a relatively simple movement pattern, but it would certainly be easy to implement.

StephenB
Guru
@Koregatabs  wrote:
So a hand that moves a few seconds in front of the camera could immediately trigger an alarm. This would be a relatively simple movement pattern, but it would certainly be easy to implement.

The battery-powered cameras use PIR sensors to detect motion - they are not processing the video.

PIR sensors can in principle distinguish right-to-left from left-to-right motion (there is an fuller explanation on how they work here: https://learn.adafruit.com/pir-passive-infrared-proximity-motion-sensor/how-pirs-work ).  But that is about it - they can't reliably distinguish a hand moving in front of the camera from other motion events.   

Adding a proximity sensor could accomplish what you want (perhaps combined with accelerometers that could detect if the camera is being moved).  Perhaps post that as a separate idea.

Koregatabs
Apprentice

Both Arlo Pro and Ultra use image analysis software to distinguish between animals and people. The latest version can even distinguish a postman from a normal person. For this reason your approach is not necessary.

It should also be mentioned that my solution of course only works with a cloud subscription. Yours would also be possible without one.

Doyel24
Follower

Yea we’re on different pages so to speak. The only it distinguishes a postman from normal person is only if they 1. They are carrying a box  2. The camara recognizes the box, which it’s spotty results at best. Plus only one camera can be designated to do that. My main thing is, I just want to know who’s coming onto my property. I don’t care who or what it is that’s leaving, bc I already know who it is bc it alerted me when they first arrived. Plus it would be less annoying when I’m doing something in the driveway and it’s recording 100s of 8-10 sec video bc they don’t recognize constant motion every well. Mine will literally cut off video and the person is in the center of the frame.