Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Show image/snapshot when motion is detected

I get alerts that there is motion occurring. I have a camera at my front door. There are no windows, and I would like to know who is ringing my doorbell. It would be nice to have the option to have an image sent with the alert. It takes awhile to open the app and play the video. I guess a snapshot or delayed live stream accessible with one click would do it. Using iOS.

Comments
Ivanot88
Follower

Would be wonderful! so I can see at a glance what happen right from the homescreen or from my apple watch without loss of time to download the video.

poco06
Aspirant

Hello,

I'm reading this ticket and find strange that Arlo is not able to fulfil with this functionality (ie : sending a single image with a notification).

This feature is mandatory as the lifetime of the batteries is very low if you are using the video notification due to lots of false detections.

So, I think it would be fair from Arlo to allow this feature even for the free account.
Let me know

Regards

Pat

wayneph
Aspirant

This could also help prevent someone clicking into Live View and inadvertently stopping a recording from continuing.

ohhaiphil
Fledgling

To add to the feature, perhaps a brief animated GIF could serve as the snapshot if it's supported by SMS. That way, users can get an at-a-glance of the start, middle and end to determine if they need to open the app.

Or, if the system could somehow detect the motion region, perhaps the snapshot could crop the area and use as the thumbnail. Would be great to see if the trigger is something like a waving branch/bug or a person/vehicle.

Obsydian
Apprentice
Would like to see a notification style alerts of detection to mobile with a still, why it's the anxiety sometimes of see the alert go into the app and ...

Why can't you use the email type still but so it appears in your mobile notifications.
mjcb4
Fledgling

I agree, great idea!

Dn2015
Guide

Yes, a snapshot to mobile push notification sounds good.

Cwaddell
Novice

I agree, This would be a nice feature

sreynolds
Aspirant

I think this would be amazing!!

Fergy
Novice

More agreement here.

I have one camera near a tree that gets triggered a couple of times a day by some birds that are nesting nearby. 

The Netgear cloud servers that are taking the recorded video could easily extract the first frame of each video and send a link to this snapshot as part of the configured notification methods. (I.e. push and/or email). 

The links and snapshot images only really need to be kept for say 24 hours and could then be deleted which would keep a lid on the storage requriement for these images.