Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make session timeout user adjustable.

Currently the session timeout is set so short I'm practically re-logging in every time I want to check the cameras. I think it's counter intuative to maintaing security -- the #1 function of 'security' cameras. 

What's needed is a user adjustable session timeout feature -- with increments up to 'always on'.

Comments
jeremytm
Initiate

I agree with the people saying the timeout should just be removed completely, or make it so long that it's practically infinite. I can't think of many (if any) modern apps which forget my session after short time or have no way to refresh auth tokens automatically.

The logic behind limited authentication sessions is way out of date. Having a session that lasts for example, time period A, is like saying if someone steals my phone in time period A, they can access my cameras, but in time period B, they cannot. They are making a misinformed assumption that it is more likely for someone to steal my phone in time period B, but my phone has the same chance of being stolen today, as it does any day – so why sacrifice my user experience for zero gain.

It's for "security"... no, it's really not.

Finn_Denmark
Initiate

I lost my newborn foal  - amount 50K DKK - because of this stupid (mal)function.

MikeandVonna
Fledgling

We totally agree. Having to log in EVERY SINGLE TIME that motion is detected is ludicrous. The whole point of having a security system is to see what's happening real time and react. 

Arlo's competitors, like Lorex, allows users to stay logged in 24/7. Why in the world would anyone intentionally buy a security system that automatically logs out in 30 minutes or less. That's not secure at all! 

Haley-Ham
Onlooker

The session timing out puts these cameras in a "novelty" category. They are not "security" cameras at all. I do like the quality of the cameras, the wireless features, and the ease of set up. Unfortunately, I now only use them as spot checkers for parts of my yard. I had to buy another system that does not time out. You know, a "SECURITY" camera!

Megiddo
Onlooker

I really wish I knew someone who could actually hack the Arlo system and give us 100% real time constant viewing without any timeouts.  Someone built it so someone knows how to rebuild or hack it.

Haley-Ham
Onlooker

The only way to get around the 30 minute time out is to follow these four steps

1. Turn off system and remove batteries from the camera(s)

2. Find the nearest trash can

3. Dump all components in 

4. Purchase any home security system other than ARLO.

This worked great for me.

marathon
Tutor

Hey, Arlo -- you need to fix this! People have been complaining about it in this thread for TWO YEARS.  It's ridiculous to do session timeouts, for all the reasons cited. It's an outdated "security" measure that is meaningless in most contexts. Amazon, who has my credit card on file, NEVER times out a session.

The mobile apps don't timeout nearly as quickly, but still log you out when you log in on a different device, also a nuisance.

If your servers are resource hogs and you're just trying to save money, you should revisit that and make the servers more intelligent about bandwidth use, and make the front end apps more intelligent about refreshing when visibility changes, reducing bandwidth when idle, and things like that. Simply doing session timeout is lame and not what customers need or want.

Megiddo
Onlooker

The timeouts should not affect home use at all even when someone does not sign up and pay for their services.  I would love to use this at a place of business or even at home because at work I have security watching monitors during open hours. I also work from home and would love to have monitors near me I could watch but having to sign in ever 5 minutes is ridiculous.

SAub
Apprentice

I primarily use Windows 10 and a browser to log into the Arlo portal. After 10 or 20 minutes or so the session times out due to inactivity requiring re-login. Is there a way to increase the timeout to say 1 or 2 hours. I realize that the timeout is for my safety and also to conserve Arlo server resources, but for me the difference between a 10 minute timeout and 2 hour timeout does not pose  a risk. A settable timeout with a reasonable Arlo maximum of say 2 hours would be nice and mostly avoid re-logins.

Ironically, my session on this forum timed out while I was typing the above paragraph. Not sure if it was correctly posted or not, so I'm reposting. It would be nice if thus forum's timeout is settable as well.

AikaneKai
Apprentice

That is how it worked until 2 years ago.  This 1/2 hour forced logout is useless.