Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
Rwatking
Guide

Thank you to everyone that has contributed their experiences and particular dissatisfaction regarding the difficulties associated with two-step verification. I trust that our efforts will now be rewarded by Arlo doing the honourable thing and putting real effort into solving the issues to make the system (upon which  we have all spent a lot of money!) work to our benefit rather than our inconvenience! I'm assuming that Arlo will address these issues with more haste than they have shown in the past. I will then be able to use my PC to access my Arlo devices (just as was the case when, in good faith, I first purchased the system) rather than having to go through the needless layers of inconvenience threatened by Arlo in the interim. It's now time to put your customers first Arlo!

hennesbe
Star

I still fail to see the big deal waiting 3 or 4 sec to grab a security code and enter it to get access.  There are multiple applications that use this technology for our benefit and theirs.

dcfox1
Master

@Rwatking Not sure if that will change anything as JessicaP said today in the main forum 2FA will again be required April 18 2021 and closed the thread. Mabey it for real this time since they said it every month in the fall. But hope Computers will be able able in the future to be a trusted device though, not the end of the world like some say. 

Rwatking
Guide

@hennesbe Regrettably, the fact that you don’t see the issue, is not the experience of most of the people that have contributed to this thread. There is a usability issue that, whether you like it or not, is real to many of us mere mortals. Arlo needs to take the matter seriously. It does have a real impact on some people who might not wish or be able to sit on the end of their phone or access their email as readily and do not appreciate being told that their opinions or abilities do not matter. Frankly, the dismissive arrogance of some people on here is offensive. The Arlo camera system was sold as an easy way for people to gain a degree of security. It should remain as easy to use as possible. 

hennesbe
Star

ha ha. I still don't see the big deal. I log onto my computer and while on it I check the cameras.  Oh I have to wait 3 secs to get the code to key in.  What's the big deal.

Rwatking
Guide

If what you had to say was in any way helpful perhaps your opinion would be worth something. It’s such a pity, therefore, that all you seem capable of contributing is an arrogant, belittling contempt and disregard for anyone else’s experience. If you wish to spend your life glued to your phone or other mindless device tapping in useless code then that’s absolutely fine by me. Just don’t expect me to be happy doing so, especially when it’s not wanted nor needed. You can have all the 2FA you obviously need in your life with my entire blessing - just don’t try to force it on me!

I have far more vital and interesting things to be doing with my life than being a slave to technology.

One of my happiest pastimes, incidentally, is getting under the skin of intolerant, arrogant, dismissive and unhelpful geeks like you. Thanks for the opportunity.

StephenB
Guru
@hennesbe  wrote:

I still don't see the big deal.

Obviously its a big deal for many, given the size of the thread.  If you primarily use the smart phone app, then it's probably not a big deal.  But if you mainly use the PC, it is a pain - especially if you don't always carry your phone.

It shouldn't be that hard to allow a PC to be a trusted device, and personally I am disappointed that Arlo didn't do that before starting the countdown.

robsss
Star

The fact that I am auto logged out of the web page and can't get back in as a trusted browser/computer is a fatal error.

I will be selling my Arlos and will not recommend them.

It is a shame since I have been using them for years without any issues.

ScotCamera
Luminary

I was forced to go 2FA the other day. Some people say its no big deal to type in a code every time you log in from your desktop but the reality is it IS a big deal! The deal is that it doesn't have to be that way. Professional sites can recognize your desktop device so you don't have to jump though these loops every time you login. This proves to me Arlo isn't a professional company (cameras only work correctly about 80% of the time) and its time to break loose and look towards another company. If they offered a free service then I guess I would be able to but up with their nonsense but instead I pay $10 month just to be frustrated. I see these Arlo combo packs at Costco and other stores and walk by and laugh to myself. Unfortunately the truth is some sucker is going to drop $600 or more to only be disappointed.

johnftr
Initiate

I raised this issue well over a year ago when Arlo announced that 2FA would be compulsory. I have no idea why Arlo refuse to address this massive hole in their offering. I realise this part of the 'forum' is about idea exchange etc, but in essence this has to be a no-brainer for them to fix. As other companies offer similar or better products with the PC / laptop etc available as a trusted device, Arlo will continue to lose exisitng customers and increasingly not gain new customers. Is their link up with Verisure likely to lead to a solution or not? I presume that Verisure have the same issues?