Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
EvanEscent
Guide

marvin_martian, me too. I was able to access my system using Microsoft Edge without 2FA.

hennesbe
Star

I installed the option a month ago. It's not a big deal to remember 6 numbers and key them in.  

My phone is set up as the trusted devise.

I also check cameras from my Mac Air lap top where I also received txt msgs so it's not a big deal.

If you don't rec txt on your lap top you just need your phone handy and we all know that everyone has their phone up their you know what all the time.

I've tried their version of MFA.  I didn't like it.  Its cumbersome and unnecessary to have to revalidate a browser every time its used. All it needs to do is set a cookie in the browser to make it a "recognized browser" (note: not a trusted device - there is a difference).  That way once you have verified on a browser, you are no longer prompted to provide verification while the cookie is valid.

hennesbe
Star

I have some apps I use that don't do well if I don't remove cache every few days.  Because of that I just clean out cookies and cache every couple of days.  

I don't check the camera all that much so it's still not a big deal to verify the devise other than my phone, at least for me.

Geo-1234
Fledgling

The fact you can't "Trust" a Windows computer is ridiculous.   The web site is getting slower everytime I use it anyway.

I think its time to give another product a try.  I dont need some dictator telling me I need two levels of protection.  I see the Eufy camera system has a six month battery with similar wifi connection.  The hard drive supplied is supposed to eliminate the need for an internet third party connection.   I wonder how many others are switching? Amazing how new managers with stupid ideas can kill a company.

Star

I think I'd check facts on the Eufy camera batteries.

dcfox1
Master

And the Hard drive. 

Rwatking
Guide

If Arlo fixed the issue then none of us would have the need to seek ANY alternative systems, let alone feel the need to debate the merits/demerits of alternatives ad infinitum! THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!

snooplsm
Onlooker

They shoved two factor down our throats but pooped the bed on implementation on the web.  If I can't check my security system when I don't have my phone that is severely flawed for a security system.  This should be fixed this week or I am asking for a refund, and getting the bbb involved.

mitch_i
Guide

I just looked at the description of the cameras on Arlo's site. They don't specify what kind of device you need to monitor with the cameras and download the files. But here are a couple of excerpts from the Arlo Pro 3 manual:

"Once you set up your Arlo account, you can access it by using the Arlo app on a smartphone or tablet, or from a computer using a web browser."

"You can access your recordings from the Arlo app on your mobile device or by using a web browser to visit..."

"The Arlo web client uses the Adobe Flash plug-in to display your camera streams in a browser. Make sure that your browser isn’t blocking the plug-in and that you’re using the latest version of Adobe Flash."

Conclusion: the Arlo cameras no longer work as described in the documentation.

One problem is that their browser relied on Adobe Flash, which has been discontinued. So the question is when do we get the new software to replace the flash version? And what do we do in the meantime?