Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
Busterbrown13
Novice

Just wanted everyone to know that support chat just told me that this is not a "known issue".  I think maybe this thread should be moved from "Idea Exchange" to "?" since everyone thinks this is an issue as I do.  I spent hours trying everything to be able to use my PC independent of my phone just to finally land on this thread.  Below is pasted an edited version of my live chat.

Chat started at 9:21 AM
  • Dear , Welcome!
  • When are you going to add a way to add another trusted device to 2 step process?
    9:23 AM
  •  
  • Going back into your concern, just to clarify, may I know what do you mean by adding another trusted device? Because you can already add a trusted device.
    9:25 AM
  • I set up my cell phone but I cannot add my laptop as trusted device. Every time I try to login from my laptop I have to use a verification code sent to my cellphone.
    9:29 AM
  • I see. Thank you for clarifying. Unfortunately, you can set PC's/Computer/Desktops/Laptops a trusted device. There is already an initiative about it. But there's no ETA as to when it will be released.
    9:30 AM
  • *can't
    Arlo Support

9:30 AM
  •  
    Then why are we being forced to do this by 11/30?
    9:32 AM
  •  
    Our engineering team focused on the security of the app since it's the most commonly used way to check on the cameras.
    9:34 AM
  •  
    I have spent hours trying different things and reading everything. I can see several different posts about this - why can't you guys just simply put a post that says "known issue" out there?
    9:40 AM
  • I see. It's actually not a known issue. It's an expected behavior. No worries, this feature will be available soon.
    Arlo Support

9:41 AM
  •  
    I guess you guys don't read the community posts. You know for every post there are a hundred of us that won't post because we think you are paying attention.
    9:46 AM
  • I understand your sentiments, . But as mentioned, there is already an action taken with this however, there's no ETA as to when it will be released.
    Arlo Support

9:50 AM

I love how they call this a "feature"!  I think everyone needs to let them know how important this is.

Webfeet
Guide

Wow!  I can't believe after all these months of complaints and now making 2FA mandatory it really sucks that Arlo can't be bothered to cater to the customers of their expensive product.  I was thinking of springing to add a couple of the Ultra 4k cameras for Christmas but I will definitely hold off until this is fixed.  Who wants to monitor a 4k video on a cell phone screen?  I want to use my PC without hassle.

mdp454
Initiate

I understand the need for security but I need my PC to be a trusted a edevice, having to constantly get my phone is a real pain that I could live with out.

Please fix this, and as quickly as possible.

Thanks

I'm sure this view is echoed not just by the good people here but by many, many others.

PFZCOLO
Fledgling

Just got 2 video door cams and now realize that as of 11/30 or maybe 12/31 they both require 2FA and it can only be done on a smartphone. How stupid is that? 

Hey Arlo, get with it and let users add other trusted devices for 2FA (like a PC or a Mac, etc). It's not practical to have to go thru the extra steps for the same trusted device each and every time you boot up the device.

FIX IT NOW.

johnftr
Initiate

AGREED - FIX IT NOW. ALL your users are screaming for it. No Answer as to whay you cannot do it?

snooplsm
Onlooker

This is ridiculous, it isn't a security feature if I have to login each time it is a nuisance.   Please fix this feature for crying out loud.  If I can't watch security footage right away it is useless.

johnftr
Initiate

Any response from Arlo at all on this for anyone?

EvanEscent
Guide

I'm planning to just ignore the November 30 deadline. Arlo had a September 30 deadline, which got bumped to October 31, which then got bumped to November 30. I suspect the "urgent" deadline will now get bumped to December 31, assuming they don't fix it in the next 3 days.

Time for Arlo to hire some real IT professionals, rather than relying on boys still in school.

mdp454
Initiate

Having invested heavily in numerous Arlo cameras I can't just quit.

However I have now stopped all further Arlo purchases and will transition to IP PTZ cameras and use the sophisticated Blue Iris software.

We have already made some moves to this superior system and would reccomend that in the absence of action by Arlo that you should investigate a more flexible platform.

It's time to go.

johnftr
Initiate

My family have 3 arlo Pro systems each with several cameras attached and have invested heavily into the technology. Nearly all cameras are monitored using non-mobile devices (mainly laptops and desktops). Yes, we can also monitor them from our mobiles but this does not address the issue of 2FA. I am postivive that the vast majority of Arlo's customers want non-mobile devices to be able to be added as trusted devices. I cannot accept that this is not acknowledged as a known issue. If they are truly unaware of this then I think their ability to support their own products is totally unacceptable. We will not be buying any more products from Arlo until and if this issue is both ackowledged and indeed FIXED!  COME on Arlo - WAKE UP!
We all think that 2fa is needed but making it unworkable is NOT the wat to proceed.