Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
Nancy_L
Apprentice

Back in September I sent a snail mail to Matthew McRae at Arlo about the 2FA PC Trusted Device issue.  Here is his emailed response to me:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2020 12:07 PM
To: XXXXXXXXX.com
Subject: Your letter

Just a quick note to let you know I received your letter.  The team is working on the browser support for 2FA now - we are waiting for our backend provider to support the various browser implementations but some versions are already in test.  Our goal is to deploy compatibility within 90-120 days however the exact timing will depend on successful testing across environments.

I appreciate your note and want you to know the teams are working hard on this and several other performance enhancements.  Thank you for being an Arlo customer.

Matt

dcfox1
Master

@Nancy_L 

Good info. Could you post this in the help forum to help people there since this a idea area.  There is a long thread on 2FA  there in the arlo forum. 

By all means keep banging on about the crime against humanity that is 2FA. But please remember those who have asked for help here.

I don't expect to convert the intransigent, but I do want to help those seeking enlightenment.

I see many messages that could be solved if only the person with the problem had asked for help rather than joined in this futile conversation.

That is why I have suggested they go elsewhere.

It is particularly frustrating when people insist that they must have a phone to get authentication for a browser. They do not seem to realise that they can get an email to let them in.

Email. If you can’t access a trusted device with push notifications, or if you can’t receive SMS text messages, you can request to have a security code sent to the email associated with your Arlo account.

The real crime is that Arlo has not responded to these messages in a sensible way with details explaining how people can use email. The KnowledgeBase simply tells people that it is possible, without telling anyone how to go about it.

It works, believe me. No phone needed. But it is too well hidden.

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

People are free to huff and puff themselves to death, but forgive me for trying to be constructive and perhaps even helpful from time to time.

hennesbe
Star

WTF was all that BS

Rwatking
Guide

All a bit too esoteric for me I'm afraid - but then I'm not in the Inner Circle.

Push/SMS/eMail ...... it matters not. I DO NOT NEED NOR WANT AND ADDITIONAL LEVEL OF SECURITY!!!!!!! I just want to access my camera in as simple a fashion as possible!!! I have nothing to hide   .... I don't care if the whole world can see the output from my camera. Simples!!!!!

LeonBall
Aspirant

Email is not a solution it is just as bad as sms. It is time consuming and emails can be delayed. The only solution is to add the ability to make a PC a trusted device. I have just retired after 45 years in IT systems development, and I am appalled at Arlos  response to this obvious problem, just as I was with how long it took to fix the bugs in their door bell product.

The gist is having to constantly verify is the real issue not how its achieved.  2FA would be ok as long as known browsers can keep a cookie identifying them as having went through 2FA.

majorhenderson
Aspirant

I said it all in the subject line. Don't make us jump through hoops every time we use our computer to access our cameras. You are not our parents that have to watch after us. If we make a mistake and allow someone unapproved access to our cameras, it is not your fault or responsibility.

pbdaile
Aspirant

Should absolutely be able to have multiple trusted devices. Very annoying switching between Mg phone and tablet 

For those who have yet to investigate things like using two different devices:

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?