Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
CTF500
Follower

eufy Security, eufyCam 2C 2-Cam Kit, Wireless Home Security System with 180-Day Battery Life, HomeKit Compatibility, 1080p HD, IP67, Night Vision, No Monthly Fee

My brother has this system and likes it.  Anyone with experience on 2FA for EUFY?

ScotCamera
Luminary

I'm not convinced that the eufy cameras are much better. Some reviews state their activity zones are just as reliable as Arlo (not very good). The free subscription looks nice but I'm sure that will change once the company expands their number of users (Arlo did the same). Price is close to the same as Arlo as well.

I'm beginning to think installing hard wired cameras are the way to go. The true 4k quality is much better and consistent. The wired cameras can remain on and active all the time. 

EvanEscent
Guide

I'm beginning to think you're right ScotCamera. I was trying to avoid running the wires but the trade off in dismal stability and the truly crappy Arlo Smartphone app and Web access are giving me second thoughts. There are powered ethernet systems that seem to be the way to go. I may end up putting my Arlo Pro 3 system up for sale on Ebay. . .

jscunningham
Apprentice

I’ve started switching over to the Ubiquiti UniFi POE cameras to replace one of my two arlo systems. It’s much cleaner and easier to manage. Has local storage and no subscription. It works like a charm. 

greyowl10
Tutor

I'm trying to set up the 2 step verification but seem to have a problem.   I have a laptop , a tablet & iphone  which I can normally pull up my system on any of them.   Now that I have the 2 step set up, every time I open my laptop onto Arlo, I am forced to find one of my other devices to approve the opening on the laptop.  I must be missing something / possibly my laptop is not listed as a trusted device / not sure.  Can I not have 3 devices as trusted outlets & if so, how do I add the 3rd device?  This is a real pain having to use 2 computers.   Any tech advice  for a not-so-tech old guy would be a great help /  Thx       

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

With mandatory Two-Step Verification about one week away I set it up. I was amazed that my PC was not a trusted device but thought I must be doing something wrong so I searched and found this thread. It's very sad that this thread was started well over seven months ago and there is still no fix. It's just another example of what a poor job Arlo is doing. I'd say it's a bush league company but that would be an insult to bush leagues.

GastonJR
Aspirant

I cannot seem to find a way to add my laptops as trusted devices.  When I log in with the phone app the option is there to "add this device" but my phone is already a trusted device.  On the web browser however that option is not there.

This is not the place to ask for help in how to use 2 factor authorization.

The "Idea" to "Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA" has been running around for six months. I doubt if any more "Me too" entries will get very far.

For help, try the area given over to, er, "help".

Start a New Discussion - Arlo Community

and/or, read the appropriate KnowledgeBase entries:

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

Sadly, that is not as clear as it might be on things like using email, bit it is a start.

Rwatking
Guide

I might be wrong but my guess is that calls for help on this issue are based in frustration that what is such a simple idea requested by so many users over such a long period of time is still not a feature worthy of Arlo's attention!

I don't think it makes any of us feel any better to be constantly told by the guru's that this is an inappropriate place to post our frustrations!

n11
Apprentice
Apprentice

@michaelkenward

With all due respect to you being a Superuser Sensei please read the OP post and the rest of the thread. Most users are reasonably intelligent and are not in need of instructions. The want their PCs to be capable of being added as a trusted device. Please use whatever power or influence you have to get this sorry excuse of a company to focus on this problem before they force 2FA on everyone just 5 days from now. While I recognize you were trying to help I'm going to report your post in an attempt to get someone at Arlo to focus on this problem.

An inefficient 2FA process is more than inconvenient, it impacts security. If I hear a noise outside and want to see a camera on my PC it could impact my safety if I have to look for a phone to complete 2FA that might be charging elsewhere in the house.