Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
dcfox1
Master

The banner was on the web portal Friday. And still in all Forums. 

MarkBickley
Novice

Since we are being forced to user 2 factor authentication why can't be use a PC as the primary trusted device?

In reply to @LeonBall 

If is very frustrating having to enter the sms code every time I login to your windows interface.

It is well hidden, but you can also use email to authenticate.

Katrinamay
Novice

I too want to get on the bandwagon.  You need to allow people to make their PC or Mac a Trusted Device. I regularly log on to my Arlo on my PC. I am forever having to scramble to find my phone. You need to allow me to make my PC a Trusted Device? The only option is to add another Cell phone number.  This is SO irritating.

TomMac
Guru

Agree, don’t mind on the phone or iPad, but on my home computer it’s a pain.... every time is to much esp since 90% of the time access is via  the pc.

CTF500
Follower

Really bad that Arlo does not respond to this obvious problem.  Even if they would acknowledge it would be helpful and ratifying.  It should be acknowledged in all the banners announcing 2FA.

I can not recommend Arlo to anybody else because of the poor support system.

TomBastedo
Guide

Does Arlo still farm out their Software development?  Seems like these issues take forever because

1) The hardware producers (probably "make in China")  don't care about your software problems.

2)The Software developers don't care about your software problems.

3) The Corporate office is just a bunch of bean counters and don't care about your software problems.

Other than that, awesome company. /sarc

DeArlo
Star

It's absolutely frustrating that a PC can't at least be used as a "known" device once the 2FA forced implementation begins.  I am disappointed that many other sites with 2FA out there such as iCloud  can allow the PC to be a known device, but Arlo can't.  

As much as I would have wanted to recommend Arlo to others, forcing us to use 2FA (which also cripple python scripts for bulk downloads of stored video) without a PC solution is a dealbreaker.  I CANNOT in good conscience recommend Arlo to friends/colleagues/relatives.  After three years as a subscriber, I will need to switch to another camera system.

itiscarollee
Aspirant

I USE MY PC AS MY PRIMARY SOURCE for arlo - basically because things are large enough for me to SEE - now this unfortunate two-step validation scheme forces me to get rid of arlo altogether and find a reliable provider.  I can't monitor my kids' cameras, which is a REAL security issue, and I can't view my OWN cameras without validating my pc app via my phone - every single time!  The bottom line is, I bought a camera system from a company which then made that inoperable, as well as the Pro 3 floodlight camera I bought a couple of WEEKS ago.  Is this even LEGAL?    I imagine arlo will soon be under the scam category in search engines.  I LOVED my arlo security! As mentioned - my bank doesn't do such a thing - and unlike arlo my bank DOES keep me secure. I've no idea what arlo must gain from this, but I'm quite  certain what arlo will lose. Revenue.

pjama
Luminary

Hi,

I think it's time for arlo to chime in and explain a few things w/r to this 2FA like why is it mandatory and if they plan to modify or improve it. They can't be short of community suggestions on improving it. The stone dead silence is deafening.

I for one think it should be a choice. I have all my cameras outside so don't feel the need for bank level account security and I can think of several easier ways to disable my cameras rather than account hacking.

Come on Arlo, why do you alienate your user base so?