Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments

This comment from @secaz:

Then we won't even be able to log in via the web portal, since our mobile devices are the only way to approve logging in from a computer.

is wrong.

You can use email to login from a browser. You just need to use the email account that you use from myarlo. No mobile involved.

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

The explanation is dreadful, but it works. (This is all explained in several earlier messages, but I guess that newcomers can't be arsed to check those.)

There are many things to complain about the 2FA process, but it doesn't help when people spread "fake news".

RT_GUY
Fledgling

I agree! It's a pain in the butt to have to keep your phone handy t get the code when all you want to do is view video on a larger screen!

Rwatking
Guide

When I paid £250 for my Arlo one camera system just three months ago I was promised (by Arlo's own blurb) an easy to use system with a web interface that I could access from my PC. The FACT that I've now had that promise reneged upon by Arlo is far from FAKE NEWS. It appears that there are a lot of angry and dissapointed people out there who have similarly paid lots of money only to be let down by an arrogant organisation who are happy to ignore their issues and difficulties. Regrettably, not everone can aspire to the heights of expertise necessary to become a high level expert in the ways of Arlo's tortuous system, whether they are arsed to or not! Useability and simplicity should be a virtue - obviously that's beyond those gurus at Arlo and its associates.

d0lphin
Apprentice

I have a flash drive mounted in the usb port to save all old captures. Wonder how that's going to work. I would have to log on with my phone, do the two-step boogie, unseat the drive (wonder if I can do that from my phone?), then put it in my laptop. What a nightmare! Who's the idiot that came up with this cluster? And if my wife wants to access the cameras, does she have to use my phone? She's not going to do that. Once again, I think I wasted $600. Anyone find a better system please let me know. Guess we'll see tomorrow if I can log on.

ScotCamera
Luminary

To respond to the following suggestion...

You can use email to login from a browser. You just need to use the email account that you use from myarlo. No mobile involved.

If I choose to enable 2FA for my desktop and email account, then I assume the desktop becomes my trusted device and every time I want to access my account through my iPhone, I need to go through the 2FA process each time? If this is correct, this is a big hassle! Can't Arlo enable 2FA to keep at least two trusted devices? This process is nothing new, banks and other companies have been able to do it, why can't Arlo?

NorCalBenny
Aspirant

I know we received an email from ARLO a few months ago warning us they would be automatically turning on the Two-Step Verification at the end of September.  I have not heard anything since.  I’m hoping this means they have delayed the implementation.  We will find out tomorrow.

I've been looking and there seems to be no way to trust a web browser?  Is there no way to trust a web browser at the moment?  Pretty annoying not to be able to trust the browser.

You can trust devices by selected "Trust Device" on the app but there is no such thing on the browser that I can find.

EvanEscent
Guide

The failure of Arlo to provide a solution to this makes me lose confidence in the programming skills of the Arlo IT folks. It seems (but I might be wrong) that this is so basic and widely used by banks, retail stores, online pharmacies, etc. that a Computer Science graduate student would be able to knock this out as a weekend project. C'mon boys, step to it.

MP123
Fledgling

I agree.  Now that 2FA is required, any time I access Arlo through my computer it will be very slow to see something live.

MP123
Fledgling

Problem: Now that Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is required for ArloPro, I have set it up for my computer and iPhone.  I am able to set up my iPhone as a trusted device, but I cannot do the same for my computer (MacBook with MacOS 10).  For the computer, I am limited to getting a text or checking my e-mail.  I prefer seeing the video on my computer because it is a larger screen so I can see things better.  If I want to see live, I now have an extra delay caused by requiring me to find my phone or log in to my e-mail.

Solution: I would like Arlo to recognize my computer as a trusted device so I don't have to use the 2FA again.  For security purposes, there could be a time limit placed like "remember me for 30 days" (that is a feature on another cloud-based program I use that requires a password and 2FA--that way I only have to enter a password once every 30 days instead of every time I log in).  The computer could be remembered by IP address and device information or by storing a certificate in the computer.  An option could be added at the 2FA number entry for "remember this computer."  This would "register" the laptop or PC by downloading a plug-in that installs a security certificate. The certificate would bind the user's device to a unique ID. The unique ID would become an assigned credential for that device, and associates that user to that ID and credential.