Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
ddwhatley
Aspirant

We should be happy we have anything at all, and keep quiet?

I'd rather Arlo just say, outright, "We're phasing out support for Windows. Not dropping it right this moment, but we're not updating it." They wouldn't be the only service-provider I have that has done that. Just more honest.

Rwatking
Guide

That's not very sympathetic to the concerns and difficulties being experienced by a lot of people on this thread. Many people obviously put a higher value on convenience and usability than yourself Michael Kenward. The FACT is that it is now more difficult to access the Web Portal and people find that to be an issue. It is also a FACT that Windows PCs are denied the right to be declared a Trusted Device so Two Step Authentication has to be undertaken EVERY time they try to log in from their PC. It is also a FACT that the ability to choose the level of security most appropriate to individual circumstances has been removed by Arlo. It is also a FACT that not everyone needs the heightened level of security that Arlo is dictating to them. Arlo would do well to give consideration to the useability requirements of all those people who have spent a very high price on a system that no longer does what it did when they bought into it.

AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

I have seen references here that I can choose to get an email to satisfy the two factor requirement, however, once establishing my iphone as a trusted device, I do not see any other option than giving permission from a trusted device.  Am I missing an option somewhere that I should see?  It wouldn't be that bad if I could log in with an email for confirmation.

Patticus
Aspirant

Capture2.PNGTry this out

jscunningham
Apprentice

I tried setting up the 2FA as suggested and every time I tried to log in to a web browser I had to authenticate again. There is no way I can see to remember the browser. Even banks let you remember a browser. I only saw where one mobile device could be recognized as the trusted device unless I’m missing something. 

mitch_i
Guide

That's the main part of the problem, and that's why you have to authenticate for every browser session.

BobT42
Onlooker

michaelkenward', why not just allow user to decide whether or not to use 2FA like it has been up until the end of this month? If a user is concerned about  security because of his/her application of Arlo, he/she certainly is smart enough to turn it ON! The other options is to have it set ON as default during creation of the account but with the current ON/OFF selector still available to turn it OFF or back ON. To insist that it is required to access one's account is not really necessary or courteous to user, especially if one cannot make preferred device "secure" just once.

AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

Patticus,  How did you get to that screen.  A similar screen I get is this -- asking for sms, not email.

Screenshot 2020-09-25 201301.png

AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

Here's the pic that was supposed to be with my last post.  I guess this site doesn't like .pngScreenshot 2020-09-25 201301_edited.jpg

AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

OK, I give up.  The pic is there when I hit the post button, but neither .jpg or .png formats is showing.  Anyway, the picture shows my phone as a trusted device and the only option is add sms verification.  It is the page with the toggle to turn on or off two step verification.