Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
jscunningham
Apprentice

If you have ever dealt with Arlo support you will realize one thing: THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT CUSTOMERS! They do not listen to feedback and can rarely fix issues. They will sometimes offer replacement parts as long as the product is within warranty period but they always try to avoid that by continually asking you to reboot, reset, restore, etc. I have been replacing one of my two systems with Unifi Protect cameras and even though they are not wireless, they hassle of running wires is still better than dealing with the unreliability of Arlo. My other system is fully wireless as it's outdoors. As soon as I find a decent replacement that will be changed out as well.

ddwhatley
Aspirant

Here's the bottom line, as I see it... Arlo already has our money, we bought their system. The didn't develop the 2FA system, they license it. To change it, Arlo'd have to pay the developer to modify / support, or, chunk it and license another plug-in. Either way, it's money Arlo would pay without offsetting revenue. Customer service? jscunningham is correct, they do not care about us. There's no revenue in it, only costs. Not all companies act this way. When I first bought my Arlo system, it was part of Netgear. I've been a Netgear customer for decades. Not the best, but I can usually get some resolution. When I first installed Arlo, I had problem with an outdoor power adapter. An engineer at Netgear took over the case. The faulty adapter ruined the camera and the battery. The engineer replaced the camera / battery and took back the adapter. He explained the outdoor adapter was a bad design and they were taking it off the market. Not only that, but everything was expedited next day shipping. But that was years ago. When Arlo split off from Netgear, well, that was it. I believe our only option is to write it off and move on.

Rwatking
Guide

Arlo obviously isn't listening to us on here. I've just used twitter to tweet about this issue. Address your tweets to @ArloSmartHome .

Rwatking
Guide

Or use @ask_ArloEU to tweet them your dissatisfaction if you are in Europe

mitch_i
Guide

I use an iPad and Windows browser to monitor the cameras and save the videos. Since Windows support is basically going away on September 30, I bought a Galaxy Tab S6 to replace my Windows PC. I installed the Arlo app on it but noticed that the videos took 2-20 minutes to arrive in Library. I spent hours (mostly waiting) with online chat and tried everything they suggested. Nothing helped, so they said they'd escalate it and that someone would email me "within 24-48 hours." A week later, no email, so I returned the Galaxy to Samsung.

At least it still works on my iPad.

jmhilde
Initiate

I hadn't signed in to our Arlo account in many months.  When I did so today, from the very same computer/PC I've always used to connect to Arlo, my device "was not recognized."  Not only did I have to jump through the ridiculous hoop of getting a code to verify my same old device, but the freaking website signed me out and I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN! 

And now Arlo is going to make this double verify system REQUIRED?  I refuse to waste my time on such nonsense.  My stepson's been after us to get Ring cameras.  Guess it's time to follow his recommendation.

'Bye, Arlo!

mitch_i
Guide

I think your understanding is correct.

When I bought my Arlo system, it was with the understanding that I could use my Windows browser to monitor the cameras and download the video files. Arlo is now changing the rules so that, for all practical purposes, Windows is no longer supported.

But I think it doesn't do much good for us to complain to each other. I plan to write a letter to the CEO:

Matthew McRae
Arlo Technologies
3030 Orchard Parkway
San Jose CA 95134

There's a lot of heat here, but not much light. Statements like "for all practical purposes, Windows is no longer supported" are just plain wrong.

The truth of the matter is that while the old way of getting into Arlo using a browser in Windows is dying, you can still use a browser. But you have to jump through a hoop or two.

This came up before and we managed to convince one or two visitors that Windows is not dying as a way in. You just have to get it to send you an authentication email.

Yes, it should be easier to use Windows and a browser. You can say the same thing about the various banks that make it hard for me to sign in without a mobile phone, but making claims that are just plain wrong is a good way of getting Arlo to ignore you. Why should it pay any attention to people who can't be bothered to check the facts?

It is also worth remembering that these moves to increase security come after other users complain  that it is too easy to break into someone Arlo account.

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

If you can’t access a trusted device with push notifications, or if you can’t receive SMS text messages, you can request to have a security code sent to the email associated with your Arlo account.

Inconvenient, possibly, but hardly impractical.

Even Microsoft has security settings in Windows and Office that are equally onerous.

I know this will not convince the extremists, but it is important that more reasonable individuals do not get the wrong impression from all the huffing and puffing that passes for discussion around here.

mitch_i
Guide

Thanks for adding to the discussion. I have two questions:

(1) Is it true that an email is required for each Windows session?

(2) How long can a Windows session last?

Questions are best posed in the appropriate section of this community, not as an " Arlo Idea Exchange".

Start a New Discussion - Arlo Community