Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
Reallyconfused
Virtuoso

Yup

This section is the "Idea Exchange".

We are now beyond that stage. The discussion has moved on, with people asking specific questions.

If anyone wants to ask, or answer, questions, it  might be a good idea to start a discussion where we can quote the messages we are answering.

Given Arlo's camera specific structure for this place, it is hard to know where to begin. This is something that affects all cameras. So take your pick.

BobT42
Onlooker

Need to be able to make computers trusted devices before mandating use of 2FA to access account and cameras. This will be very aggravating to computer users like myself which is why I have kept 2FA turned off.

AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

@michaelkenward 

Repeat the question, where is an email option?  I only see trusted mobile devices and SMS text notification.  Nothing that comes to my computer.

Reddogdd
Onlooker

I am unable to get a push code to my phone (or email) when trying to access my account on my desktop or laptop.  After a very very long time the support group finally confirmed that these devices are not eligible to be trusted devices - please change that ASAP or change the requirement for two factor authentication.  I have numerous accounts that use two factor authentication that work on my phone and my desktop and my laptop and my ipad.  It is possible for most other companies and should be a very high priority for Arlo.  I like the two factor authentication, however it should seamlessly work on all devices.  Also support shouldn't send out the "boilerplate" response about cookies, up to date software, etc. when nothing will change the fact that desktops and laptops simply cannot be trusted devices.

My software is up to date and I am using Windows 10 pro

I used the email option two days ago. It worked. I still have the email I received.

Your Arlo one-time authentication code is:

If you do not recognize this request, we recommend you immediately change your password to protect your account from unauthorized access. Learn more about changing your password here.

-The Arlo Team

But the process was such a pain that I turned off 2FA until I am forced to use it.

Sorry, but I am not going to faff around again trying to find something that I know is there. Yes, it was hidden, behind something like "try another router".

What is two-step verification and how do I set it up?

Email. If you can’t access a trusted device with push notifications, or if you can’t receive SMS text messages, you can request to have a security code sent to the email associated with your Arlo account.
Rwatking
Guide

Whilst a useful work around in exceptional circumstances receiving codes by email should not be seen as an acceptable solution to this dilemma. To be fair michaelkenward acknowledges this. Arlo, however, need to address this issue with the simple solution that a current volume of 8 pages of people deserve. Come on Arlo. TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dcfox1
Master

Just to clarify there is no actual setting when setting up 2fa. But when you log in a computer and get to the verify identity screen click "try another verification method" and then click your e-mail address, you will then see a check mark and then click continue and you will get an e-mail. A pain and you have to do it every time but it works. SMS is just simpler if you can use it. 

afisman1
Fledgling

Do the STOCKHOLDERS know about this problem and what it has not been addressed and why customers have not be notified of the problem and the expected time to fix it.?