Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
JayBeee
Aspirant

Why can't I make my laptop a trusted device? It is totally unacceptable to have to enter an authentication code every time I want to sign into my account. I don't have an issue with 2FA but Arlo, please do it the right way and let ME choose to set up my laptop as a trusted device, or choose YOUR option and require a new code each time to sign in. There are times I will switch between both options depending on the circumstances .      

BobT42
Onlooker

Since 2FA will be required to access your Arlo account after September 30th, this request should be on your "being developed" list now. I tried 2FA several years ago and had to turn it off due to the unnecessary hassle. I was surprised that one still cannot make a computer a trusted device which would eliminate the hassle and make the Arlo 2FA like banks and other institutions have implement it. I use my laptop to access Arlo thru out the day and requiring to use 2fA after 30 September will make me and many other customers very unhappy!

Patticus
Aspirant

Arlo sent out a notification stating they'll be requiring two-step authentication in the very near future.  Once that is instituted, there'll be no option to turn two-step off.  It's very unfortunate that security concerns will make it so tedious to use the web app/web portal.

This further compounds the negative web portal user experience with the 90 second time-out on the web app.  It can be very frustrating if you want to monitor your device from your PC.  The user will be constantly having to log in after the time-out and constantly going through two-step authentication.  

Reallyconfused
Virtuoso

Arlo...disappointing 

tfirma
Aspirant

Agree with everyone else - this is insanity.  Makes the web platform unusable and shows very little commitment from Arlo for not just their customers, but their overall solution offering compared to competitors.

awoods01
Fledgling

This is so fundamental.  I am guessing that the majority of Arlo owners are oblivious to what is coming otherwise there woiuld be far more posts on here.  There is nothing i can find that gives any information to justify the inability to specify PCs and laptops for 2FA, at least some indication as to why or even more hopefully a statement indicating this will be resolved would be very welcome.   

I guess we are consumers in the hands of people who say they care (when money is changing hands) but in reality, not (when you have already given them your money).  To be fair, they arent alone and seems to be an 'ok' practice.  Sad but true.  Anyone have any idea how to get a response from them?

Dig
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Arlo,

This sucks. Fix it. 

DougAshford
Initiate

Hello Arlo... I hope you are seeing the massive disappointment in your 2 factor authorization and being unable to make PC's and Chromebooks trussed devices.  My father-in-law is an 86 year old Arlo user and logs in at least daily on his Chromebook to check the Arlo's at his cabin in Montana.  We are Cananadian and have been unable to get to the cabin since March due to the Covid border closure.  The Arlo camera's have been a great relief in being able to monitor the house down there.  It will be extremely difficult for him to manage the text code 2FA process.   I know that from how much I have to help with computer issues.  Please either totally cancel your 2FA rollout or get it fixed to ALLOW FOR PCS AND CHROMEBOOKS TO BE TRUSTE

FoxRaynard
Star

More Arlo retardation. I use two laptops way more than the crappy mobile app that never starts up properly first time

pjama
Luminary

Just adding my vote to either keep it optional or fix it so PCs can be a trusted device.