Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Make PC as a trusted device for 2FA

I use 3 devices to access my Arlo cams. My phone, my tablet and my PC. It isn't possible to add my PC to known devices for the 2 step verification process. Every time I try to access my cams via my PC, I have to get the code from my phone and enter it in my PC. Would be much easier for PC users to have the capability to list the PC as a known device. 

Comments
awoods01
Fledgling

I am assuming that as there is no feedback on this issue that Arlo dont either care or have a fix or read these threads. 

Issues as i see them....

I have set up 2FA using my iPad, the iPad is now set as the Trusted device.  I log on to Arlo via PC, iPad gets a message 'someone is trying to access your account', note SOMEONE it could be anyone!!!  How do i know, do i have to assume its someone who has legitimate access?  Absolutely rediculous.  Also means i have to walk around with my trusted device REALLLLLYYY!!!!!!!

Having more than one device is commonplace, including the Arlo skill for Alexa (which by the way didnt come up with any 2FA related request - or is that something else that is destined to break).  I did not spend hundreds of pounds on cameras from a trusted organisation only for them to devise a mandatory method of access that as it stands is going to irritate me (and others) beyond belief.

There is already a way of adding trusted people via grant access, how hard would it be for there to be more than one trusted device??????????????????  I cannot believe this has not been thought about or addressed - bearing in mind there are other threads dating back to LAST YEAR covering the same issue raised here.

Come on Arlo, this just isnt going to work is it?  Fix it NOW

CosmicAvenger
Aspirant

And now they've sent an email declaring that 2FA will be required as of 30 September 2020. I set it up after receiving that email...and immediately turned it off again when I couldn't "trust" my tablet. <rolls eyes> I find the Arlo convenient but not that great, so while I was considering adding a camera to it, if this isn't fixed by their deadline I'll probably go with a couple of Wyze cameras dumping video to my NAS.

rosadk1
Novice

how to set my computer as a trusted device

DougAshford
Initiate

Hey Arlo...can you either fix this 2FA process or cancel it... I want to have 3 access points (iphone, ipad and Macbook with a browser), all without having to get an SMS every login (currently the case with the Macbook). For my fathers account he only accesses through a Chromebook and it is a huge issue to add an SMS process for him.

Cancel the 2FA process please!!!

NorCalBenny
Aspirant

I called Arlo support and explained the problem that we have to re-verify every time we logon our MacBook or PC’s after enabling the Two-Step Verification.

I demonstrated the problem and the support person understood.  I asked that he pass this onto their developers, and he agreed.  I asked that he also pass on that there are many of us who need to have this fixed or Arlo will lose a lot of customers.  The support person was very understanding.  Let’s hope Arlo gets this fixed soon.

Rwatking
Guide

Arlo need to get this sorted quickly. I too turned on 2 step verification when I got their email. I've now turned it off again!!!!!!!! They've had this issue flagged up to them but not done anything about it for far too long. They're quick enough to spot every marketing opportunity to sell us a few more features/subscriptions. Very slow to actually help users make basic functions more workable, however.

Rwatking
Guide

Unbelievably, following my post above, I was asked to fill in a response form to tell Arlo how I got on. I filled in the form to tell Arlo that, given their lack of response on the above issue, I couldn't recommend them to my friends, family and clients. Arlo wouldn't let me submit the form!!!!!!!!!!! Apparently I have already submitted my comments! NOT SO!!!! This pretty much says it all!

jscunningham
Apprentice

Why is there no option to add a computer/browser as a trusted device? It seems it will only allow mobile devices using the app.

Drop the mandatory 2FA and make it optional.  You are making the Arlo systems worse every day.

AnnoyedBy2Fa
Onlooker

Really?  I can't see on my computer unless the primary device is available to authorize?  Why even bother to have PC access if I also have to have my phone or mobile device at my fingertips?  Please forget 2Fa till you can do it right!

CosmicAvenger
Aspirant

AnnoyedBy2FA, the easiest fix for that is to get a Google Voice number, then you can see your texts on any computer, and if you want you can also still send/receive them on a cell phone.